Meghalaya Assembly Moves Resolution Against Centre's Cattle Slaughter Notification
Meghalaya government on Monday passed an official resolution on the recent notification of the Centre to 'ban' cow slaughter during the special session of the state Assembly.
A mob tried to torch the trucks transporting the cattle and blocked the highway on the suspicion of smuggling. (Image for representation only)
Shillong: Meghalaya government on Monday passed an official resolution on the recent notification of the Centre to 'ban' cow slaughter during the special session of the state Assembly.
The development comes close on the heels of the resignation of top BJP leaders from the state unit of the party. The state government introduced the resolution after protests from various quarters against the recent notification by the Centre to ban sale of cattle for the purpose of slaughter from marketplaces.
The Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (Regulation of Livestock Markets) Rules, 2017 were notified on May 23, prohibiting cattle from being brought to animal markets for the purposes of slaughter.
Meghalaya is not the only state to have opposed these rules. States like Kerala and West Bengal have already expressed their displeasure.
Recently, the CM of Kerala, Pinarayi Vijayan had moved a special motion in the Kerala assembly against the new norms in order to mount pressure on the Centre to reverse them. After a two-hour debate, the Assembly passed a near-unanimous special resolution against the Centre.
There have also been protests organised in several parts of Tamil Nadu, where the opposition Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam (DMK) launched an agitation on May 31.
Recommended For You
- WhatsApp Live Location: Say Hi to This New Feature to Sour Your Relationships
- Kerala Tourism Takes A Dig At Uttar Pradesh Over the Taj Mahal Row and People Are Loving It
- Top 10 Cars Sold in September 2017 - Maruti Suzuki Dzire, Vitara Brezza, Hyundai Creta & More
- Secret Superstar: How Zaira Wasim Proves Age and Experience Don't Dictate Talent
- Diwali 2017: Gift Yourself A Healthier & Longer Life This Festive Season