Militants hurl grenade at Manipur minister's house
Newly-formed Kuki National Front-N (KNF-N) has taken the responsible for the grenade attack at the minister's house.
Imphal: Militants lobbed a powerful grenade at the residence of Manipur Irrigation and Flood control Minister Ngamthang Haokip in the heart of Imphal town but it failed to explode, officials said on Saturday. The grenade was hurled by two militants at Haokip's house at New Chekon area, amid tight security deployment in Imphal West district, at around 7 pm on Friday but it did not explode. The militants escaped under the cover of darkness.
Haokip was not present at his residence at the time of the incident, said the officials adding that his family members were, however, inside the house. Talking to reporters at his office on Friday evening, Haokip said police bomb experts later removed the grenade and wondered why security personnel could not detect movement of ultras, moving with explosives in high security Imphal area. The Minister said the pin of the grenade was found outside the fencing of his wall though the grenade fell in his bedroom. Haokip said some Kuki militants had earlier threatened him with dire consequences if their monetary demand was not met.
Meanwhile, newly-formed Kuki National Front-N (KNF-N) Publicity Secretary Gou Vaiphei told local media that they were responsible for the grenade attack at the minister's house. He said the outfit had demanded money from the minister for "some party fund" but he refused to pay the amount. The minister said he had applied for government accommodation in the high-security Babupara ministerial complex but was yet to get it.
- India's Uri Payback, Pulls Out of Saarc, Has Saarc Itself Become Meaningless?
- SAARC Summit Could be Postponed If India Not Attending: Pakistan
- Collapse of SAARC Summit Unfortunate, Says Mehbooba Mufti
- Talk and Terror Can't Go Together: MEA
- Shoe Hurled at Rahul Gandhi in UP; He Blames BJP, RSS
- Rahul Gandhi Visits Places of All Faiths in UP
- PM Modi Least Bothered About People, Says Rahul Gandhi
- Rahul Gandhi Enjoys 'Paan' Brought by Party Workers During Unnao Road Show