Mixed response in AP to Centre's move on Telangana
The Telangana Joint Action Committee said the Centre's decision wouldn't evoke confidence in the absence of a clear road map for formation of a separate state.
Hyderabad: The Centre's decision to convene a meeting of political parties of Andhra Pradesh on December 28 to discuss the Telangana issue evoked a mixed response in the state. Panchayat Raj Minister K Jana Reddy, who leads Telangana Congress leaders in their campaign for statehood, hoped the meet will lead to the formation of Telangana state.
"All Congress leaders from Telangana worked with unity and coordination. They worked as per the wishes of people and conveyed everything to the party high command. I believe that a separate state would be a reality after the meeting," he said.
However, his party colleagues from non-Telangana regions felt that a single view cannot be given by the parties as they are divided on regional lines. "There are divergent views within the parties. How can one view be given?" senior Congress MLA and former Minister JC Diwakar Reddy said.
Telangana Joint Action Committee (TJAC) Chairman M Kodandaram said the Centre's decision would not evoke confidence in the absence of a clear road map for formation of a separate state. Senior TRS leader and former MP B Vinod Kumar wondered whether the move was just an assurance given to placate Telangana Congress MPs, who had been openly protesting against their party and UPA government, to make them vote in favour of the FDI issue or the Centre was really serious about it.
Senior TDP MLA M Narasimhulu, who hails from Telangana, said the meeting would "expose" the ruling Congress, which has not made known its stance on the statehood issue so far, and also TRS. The sub-regional party is not sincere in its efforts to secure separate Telangana, he alleged.
- PM Modi Understands Pain of Our People: Baloch leader
- Watch: Ground Reports From India-Pakistan Border
- ISL 2016 Kicks Off with a Star-Studded Opening Ceremony
- Pakistan Still in Anaesthesia After Surgery: Manohar Parrikar
- Honest Officers Being Removed Systematically: Kejriwal
- Allahabad HC Defers Hearing on Plea Challenging Narendra Modi's Election From Varanasi
- Watch: Ranbir Kapoor Expresses the Pain of One-sided Love Convincingly in Channa Mereya
- Surgical Strikes: Political Parties Speak in One Voice, Mehbooba Strikes Note of Caution