MLA demands withdrawal of book for promoting 'gender bias'
The book by VV Chowdhary is titled 'Mulgach Kasa Hoil', meaning, 'how to get a male baby'.
Thane: A Shiv Sena MLA on Wednesday requested the Maharashtra Assembly Speaker to direct the state government to withdraw from circulation a Marathi book, saying it was promoting "gender bias". Vivek Pandit made a special mention on the floor of the Lower House seeking a ban on the book titled "Mulgach Kasa Hoil" (How to get a male baby?) by VV Chowdhary.
Pandit, who represents Vasai constituency in Thane district, said the book was in violation of the Pre-Conception and Pre-Natal Diagnostic Technique (PCPNDT) Act in the backdrop of growing number of female foeticide cases in some parts of the state.
"Even four months after Joint Director of State Health Services and Family Welfare Department wrote to Pune Municipal Corporation (PMC) to take further action against the publisher for alleged violation of the Pre-Conception and Pre-Natal Diagnostic Technique (PCPNDT) Act, nothing has happened on ground," he said.
Pandit requested the Speaker to direct the state government to ensure that the book is withdrawn from circulation.
- Ranbir Kapoor Feels the Youth is Living in Hard Times Right Now
- Harshvardhan Kapoor is Special Because He's my First Co-Star: Saiyami Kher
- Rahul Gandhi Pledges Congress' Full Support to Modi Over Surgical Strikes
- Watch: Ranbir Kapoor Expresses the Pain of One-sided Love Convincingly in Channa Mereya
- Cauvery Row: Opposition Asks Government Not to Release Water to Tamil Nadu
- Cauvery Row: Siddaramaiah Chairs All-Party Meet, Gowda Sits on Dharna
- Cauvery Row: Siddaramaiah Calls All-Party Meet to Decide on SC's Order to Release Water
- PM Modi Holds Meeting Over Cauvery Water Sharing Dispute