UK delegation meets Gujarat CM Modi, signs mega gas deal
The British Minister of State for Foreign Office, Hugo Swire, met Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi on Wednesday.
New Delhi: The British Minister of State for Foreign Office, Hugo Swire, met Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi on Wednesday. A deal was signed between the state-owned Gujarat State Petroleum Corporation Ltd and UK-based BG group to get a supply of 1.25 million tonnes of liquefied natural gas per annum starting 2015. When asked about granting Modi a UK visa, Swire said the decision is taken on an individual basis. He, however, added that relations between Gujarat and the UK were extremely cordial at the moment.
The move is viewed by many as strengthening of Britain's re-engagement with Gujarat after a decade-long boycott post-2002 riots. The UK, in October 2012, had announced the resumption of ties with Gujarat.
Marking the end of boycott, British High Commissioner James Bevan had then visited Gandhinagar and had discussed a range of issues including trade and commerce with the Gujarat CM.
With additional information from PTI
Recommended For You
- Renshaw Criticised For Retiring Due to Stomach Bug
- News18 Movie Awards 2017: Aamir Khan Is Unbeatable in Best Actor Category
- Why Hidden Figures Deserves an Oscar For Being Relevant in Present Times
- Nach Baliye 8: Judges to Contestants; Everything That You Need to Know About The Show
- Xiaomi Redmi Note 4 Black Colour Variant to Be Available from March 1