Modi govt's attitude will not be a challenge: Lokayukta
Justice (retd) RA Mehta said he was indifferent and was neither supporting, nor contesting the case in the courts.
Ahmedabad: After the Supreme Court upheld the appointment of Lokayukta in Gujarat, Justice (retd) RA Mehta on Wednesday said the Modi government's attitude will not come in the way of his work. "I don't think Modi government's attitude will be a challenge for Lokayukta," Mehta said in reply to a query by mediapersons.
The Supreme Court on Wednesday upheld the appointment of the Lokayukta in Gujarat, dismissing state government's plea challenging Governor Dr Kamla Beniwal's decision to appoint Mehta without consulting it. "This is the victory of Supreme Court...It is not in dispute that we need Lokayukta in Gujarat and even government has accepted it," Mehta said.
"Chief Justice's recommendations are always non-political. Matter was sub judice, hence I never spoke to media on this issue and I don't have any comment now too," he said. "I was indifferent...I was not supporting, nor contesting," he said replying to a query by reporters on why he never filed his reply either in the High Court or in the Supreme Court.
To a question on how he would take charge, Mehta said, "I don't have to say anything. May be the government will notify in Gazette, I have no idea." The Gujarat Governor had appointed Justice (retd) RA Mehta as Lokayukta of the state in August 2011, by-passing the Narendra Modi-led BJP government which had kept the post vacant for the last seven years.
- Watch: Karan Johar Reveals His Funniest Moments On Koffee With Karan
- Bigg Boss 10, Day 6: Salman Khan Loves Lokesh's Funny Antics
- Nintendo Switch: Here's Why Twitterati is Relating The Game Console to Porn
- Nintendo Switch Home And Handheld Gaming Modular Console Released
- 31st October Movie Review: Has Nothing New to Offer
- Apple Launch Event on October 27: What to Expect?
- Eight Killed in Firecracker Mishap at Sivakasi
- 90% Apple Lightning-to-USB Cables Sold on Amazon, Groupon Are Fake