Modi to visit Kerala amidst tight security, protests
Narendra Modi had featured in recent debates in Kerala, after state Labour Minister Shibhu Baby John met him in Gujarat.
New Delhi: Amid tight security and protests against his visit, Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi will arrive in Kerala on Wednesday. Modi who will be on a day-long visit to the state, will address a public rally in Varkala.
Modi had featured in recent debates in the state, after state Labour Minister Shibhu Baby John met him in Gujarat last week. Top Congress and Left leaders had condemned that meeting, and the engineer-turned labour minister was forced to admit that the visit was ill-advised.
The Sivagiri Mutt at Varkala invited Modi as chief guest at a function to be held on Wednesday to mark the post-centenary of installation of 'Vidhyadevta' idol on its premises.
CPM state secretary Pinarayi Vijayan on Sunday said it was wrong for the Hindu mutt to invite Modi. However, the general secretary of the mutt, Rithambharananda Swamikel, retorted that the invitation was no political matter, and the religious institution had also extended invitations for the celebrations to Sonia Gandhi, Rahul Gandhi and Defence Minister AK Antony. Only Modi had accepted the invitation, he said.
With Additional Inputs From IANS
Recommended For You
- Two-Minute Silence For Ranveer's Appearance at Shahid's Party
- Moto 3rd Anniversary Sale on Flipkart: Huge Discounts on Moto Z, Moto M and More
- New Audi A4 30 TFSI Review: It is Powerful and Environment Friendly
- SRK's Circus Returns To TV, Twitterati Can't Contain Their Excitement
- Federer wants Nadal as Laver Cup doubles partner