Muslim Outfits Could Oppose UCC Because of Secular India: Shiv Sena
Shiv Sena Party Chief Uddhav Thackeray. (Photo Credit: Getty Images)
Mumbai: Wading into the debate over Uniform Civil Code issue, Shiv Sena on Thursday said Muslim outfits are opposing Law Commission's questionnaire only because India is a secular country and would not have "dared" to do so had they been living in any Islamic country.
"Laws in our country are based on religion. In the past, there have been amendments to laws for the Hindu and Catholic community as and when needed. Also in Muslim community, laws have been amended in countries like Turkey, Iraq and Malaysia that follow Islam," Sena spokesperson Neelam Gorhe told reporters.
Her comments came against the backdrop of the Law Commission's decision to invite views on the contentious UCC issue on Thursday.
The questionnaire by Law Commission has riled All India Muslim Personal Law Board (AIMPLB) and other Muslim organisations which said they will boycott it and accused the Narendra Modi government of waging a "war" against the community.
Gorhe said the Shiv Sena has always called for UCC to be put in place.
"There needs to be a change in lives of women. They (Muslim bodies) are being able to oppose the UCC only because they reside in a secular country.
"Had they been living in a country that followed Islamic laws, they would not dare to protest against the amendments in laws. There should be a debate on the issue and women should get justice," she added.
- Celebrate Diwali With Pious And Not With Noise
- Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Movie Review: Soulfully Acted, It'll Strike a Chord With The Audience
- Hosting a Card Party This Diwali? 5 Easy Snack Ideas to Make Your Preparations Easier
- New Zealand Policemen Dance To Salman Khan's Hit Songs To Celebrate Diwali
- Shivaay Review: Ajay Devgn-starrer Is Seldom Compelling
- Shivaay Movie Review: Ajay Devgn Is In Every Frame and We Wish He Wasn't
- PM Urges Citizens to Send Their Messages to Jawans This Diwali
- Snapshot: Arjun Rampal's daughter Mahikaa is all grown up now!