BJP calls for bandh in western UP, SP says won't allow forcible shutdown
BJP President Rajnath Singh is expected to lead a delegation of BJP leaders from Uttar Pradesh to Rashtrapati Bhawan today.
New Delhi: The Bharatiya Janata Party has called for a bandh in Western Uttar Pradesh on Sunday but the samajwadi Party government said it will not allow forcible shutdown. BJP President Rajnath Singh is expected to lead a delegation of BJP leaders from Uttar Pradesh to Rashtrapati Bhawan today.
BJP leaders Sandeep Som and Suresh Rana have been sent to 14 days judicial custody for making hate speech during riots. Arrest warrants have also been issued against 16 politicial leaders. On Saturday, Rajnath cancelled his scheduled visit to Muzaffarnagar after an appeal from Chief Minister Akhliesh Yadav.
Rajnath alleged that the SP spreads riots in Uttar Pradesh whenever it comes to power in the state and said a delegation would meet the President next week to give him an account of the prevailing situation in riot-hit areas.
"I wanted to meet the families of the victims and take stock of the situation. But the district administration denied me permission saying my visit is not possible in the present circumstances," Rajnath Sing had told reporters at his official residence here.
He said the recent sting operation carried by news channels has proved that those in power in the state had a role in violence.
"The SP and the BSP want to gain mileage out of the prevailing situation in UP in the Lok Sabha elections," he had alleged.
He had said he has set up a committee under BJP Legislature Party leader in UP Hukum Singh to prepare a report on the situation in riot-hit areas and the damage caused by the violence.
(With additional information from PTI)
- Arun Jaitley Calls on Private Sector to Invest, Cites Low Cost of Capital
- Chief Justice of India Differs With Arun Jaitley on Courts Delaying Arbitration
- Debit Card Fraud: Jaitley Seeks Report, Says Aim is to Contain Damage
- Reliance Jio 4G Speeds Slow? Here's What You Need to Know About Daily FUP
- Ranji Trophy, Group C: J&k Take Lead Vs Andhra; Services Struggle Against Goa
- Two Suspected JeM Terrorists Arrested in Baramulla District of J&K
- Suspected Pakistani Spy Arrested in J&K's Samba District
- Islamic State Using Civilians as Human Shields Against Iraqi Troops: UN Official