Nagaland: EC team seizes Rs one crore cash from chopper
Sources said the candidate will be asked about the sources and utility of this huge cash.
Kohima: An Election Commission surveillance team on Saturday seized Rs one crore cash from a helicopter allegedly being used by a candidate of the Nagaland Peoples Front (NPF) in the poll-bound state. A team of EC-appointed observers seized the cash from a chopper, which was allegedly hired to ferry Nyemli Phom who is contesting the Assembly polls from a constituency in Longleng district, official sources said.
The EC team has alerted the Income Tax department and police officials about the development and they have dispatched their teams for the necessary action, they said. Sources said the candidate will be asked about the sources and utility of this huge cash and after recording the statement a decision will be taken about the cash.
The EC has issued guidelines to political parties to instruct their candidates not to carry huge cash and conduct transactions through banking channels. Polls for the 60 Assembly seats in the state will be conducted on February 23.
The EC has appointed a team of 'Expenditure Observers' in the state to keep a check on illegal money and other inducements being used for voters at the hustings. The EC-appointed teams are also keeping a close eye on any instances of 'Paid News' in the run up to the polls.
- Samajwadi Party Family Feud: Timeline of Happenings in Uttar Pradesh Pari-war
- CM's Prerogative, Says Congress on Sacking of 4 UP Ministers
- Who Stands With Whom in Samajwadi Party Pariwar
- How Shivpal's Removal From Cabinet by Akhilesh Shocked the Mulayam Camp
- Watch: Masand's Verdict On Tom Cruise's Jack Reacher: Never Go Back
- Jack Reacher: Never Go Back Review: Lacks Suspense, High-Adrenaline Thrills
- 'Jack Reacher: Never Go Back' Review: The Film is Dull and Predictable
- Pierce Brosnan Thought He Was Endorsing A Tooth Whitener, Twitter Had A Field Day