Names of voters holding cards missing from rolls
Hundreds of people could not vote as their names were missing from voters' list.
Bangalore: A substantial number of voters holding ID cards issued by the Election Commission could not exercise their franchise, as their names were missing from the list of voters, in the first phase of Assembly elections in Karnataka on Saturday.
Talking to UNI, a voter Mohammed Ali, who was ''denied'' his right to vote said, ''I am a permanent resident in Malleswaram Assembly Constituency and seven members of my family hold ID cards issued by the EC but our names are missing in the electoral list.''
He, however, refused to attribute any particular party for not finding his family members' name in the voters list. The same was the case of his neighbour, who belonged to a majority community.
Tapan Basad, a central observer for the Sheshadripuram Assembly Constituency, said that even though it was the responsibility of the authorities concerned to ensure inclusion of all genuine voters in the electoral list, citizens also have the duty to ensure that their names exist in the list.
The Joint state electoral officer B V Kulkarni, while agreeing that there were several instances of missing names in the voters list, said it may be due to their absence when officials visited their homes for verification.
Chief Election Commissioner N Gopalaswamy, during his visit to the state in the run-up to the elections, had instructed the authorities to ensure that voters who were issued ID cards by the EC find their names in the final electoral list. However, it seems that the EC's directive did not yield positive results.
Hundreds of people could not exercise their franchise in Saturday's election.
- Former Israeli Prime Minister, Nobel Prize Winner Shimon Peres Passes Away
- Lisa Haydon Just Announced Her Marriage to Boyfriend Dino Lalvani
- Navjot Singh Sidhu Not Leaving The Kapil Sharma Show
- Navjot Singh Sidhu Not to Float Political Party in Punjab
- Sushmita Sen Slams Donald Trump For Body Shaming Ex-Miss Universe Alicia Machado
- Delhi Minister Satyendra Jain Alleges BJP Conspiracy Behind Income Tax Notice
- US Driver Fined $136 For Using Donald Trump's Cut-Out To Get Through Carpool Lane
- Saamna Cartoonist Expresses Regret Over Cartoon That Triggered Protests