Shinde proposes Andhra model of policing at all-party meet on Naxals
There were also proposals to crack down on funding for Naxals and illegal mining in Jharkhand.
New Delhi: Two weeks after the Bastar bloodbath, the government on Wednesday held an all-party meet to firm up its anti-Naxal strategy. Sources say that Home Minister Sushil Kumar Shinde proposed Andhra Pradesh's model of policing and improvement of local level police stations. There were also proposals to crack down on funding for Naxals and illegal mining in Jharkhand.
The Maoist-hit states resolved to take a uniform approach to deal with the Naxal problem besides launching all-out offensives against the extremists.
At the session of nine Naxal-affected states, convened by the Home Ministry, the states for the first time agreed to take a uniform approach and jointly launch inter-state operations.
However, Army and Air Force will not be used in the fight against the Maoist menace which has taken a dangerous turn in recent months, official sources said. To check flow of extortion money to Naxals, the states decided to abandon the present system of allowing contractors to collect 'tendu' leaves (used for making bidis) and the state governments themselves will collect the leaves.
Sources said the Maoists often extort money from the contractors engaged in 'tendu' leaves collection. The nine states agreed to adopt the model of Andhra Pradesh in fighting the Naxals through which the southern state has been successful in wiping out the Maoists from most parts of the state.
Andhra Pradesh had given stress on strengthening intelligence gathering mechanism, enhanced role of local police stations, made efforts for penetration in Maoist hierarchy and the special Greyhounds forces took lead role. It was decided in the meeting that the state forces will take the lead role while central forces will assist them.
Shinde presided over the meeting while chief ministers of Chhattisgarh, Andhra Pradesh, Maharashtra, Odisha and Bihar, Governor of Jharkhand and representatives of Madhya Pradesh, Uttar Pradesh and West Bengal took part.
With additional information from PTI
- Dhoni Applauds Sushant Singh Rajput's Performance In MS Dhoni: The Untold Story
- Allahabad HC Defers Hearing on Plea Challenging Narendra Modi's Election From Varanasi
- PM Modi Holds Meeting Over Cauvery Water Sharing Dispute
- Will Tell India What is Real Surgical Strike: Hafiz Saeed
- China Urges India, Pakistan to Cool Down Situation
- Grandmother of Captured Indian Soldier Chandu Babulal Chavan Dies of Shock
- India Shouldn't Unilaterally Scrap Indus Waters Treaty: Medha Patkar
- Pakistan Briefs P5 Over Unprovoked Firing by India on LoC