NCP MLA sent to police custody till March 3
Jalgaon NCP MLA Dilip Wagh and his PA Mahesh Mali were arrested over rape charges.
Nashik: Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) MLA from Jalgaon Dilip Wagh, accused of rape, has been sent to police custody till March 3.
His PA Mahesh Mali, co-accused of raping a woman in Nashik, has also been sent to police custody.
Earlier on Saturday, Dilip Wagh was arrested in Bandra and his PA Mali was arrested on Sunday.
Wagh and his personal secretary Mahesh Mali have been charged for the rape which allegedly took place after they met her on the pretext of offering a job. The NCP has now suspended Wagh from the party.
Deputy Chief Minister, Maharashtra Ajit Pawar said, "We have suspended him for the time being pending police inquiry."
Home Minister RR Patil said, "Everyone is same in the law, we have asked police to look into this closely."
Even as a medical examination of the victim has confirmed sexual intercourse, the opposition has trained its guns on the NCP.
BJP leader Eknath Khadse said, "Transcript CDI inquiry should be carried in the case to get to the bottom of the matter."
The opposition says Wagh should also be booked for violating an ongoing election code of conduct by staying at the Nashik government guest house at the time of alleged incident.
Police say they are also examining call records between Wagh and the victim to determine if rape indeed took place.
- Honest Officers Being Removed Systematically: Kejriwal
- Allahabad HC Defers Hearing on Plea Challenging Narendra Modi's Election From Varanasi
- Not Playing Pakistani Journalist in Noor: Sonakshi Sinha
- Force 2 Trailer: John Abraham, Sonakshi Sinha Take on the World to Save India
- Watch: Ground Reports From India-Pakistan Border
- ISL 2016 Kicks Off with a Star-Studded Opening Ceremony
- Pakistan Still in Anaesthesia After Surgery: Manohar Parrikar
- Pakistan's Bermuda Triangle