NCP MP Tariq Anwar makes a debut in govt in MoS
Tariq Anwar was associated with the Congress till 1999 when he along with Sharad Pawar and PA Sangma parted ways to establish the NCP.
New Delhi: Lady luck has smiled on senior Nationalist Congress Party leader Tariq Anwar who made his maiden entry into government as a Union Minister of State after nearly four decades in active politics. Sixty-one-year-old Anwar was a Congress leader till 1999, when he along with Sharad Pawar and PA Sangma parted ways with that party to establish the NCP.
A second-term Rajya Sabha member, he held the crucial position of Political Secretary to the then Congress president Sitaram Kesri. Anwar hails from Bihar, but represents Maharashtra in the Rajya Sabha. Coming from an illustrious family which has been associated with the freedom struggle, Anwar began his career as a journalist in 1972 and took the political plunge soon after by joining the Congress.
He rose to become the President of the Bihar Youth Congress in 1976. He made steady progress in the party ranks to become the President of the All India Youth Congress in 1982. Anwar contested and won from the Katihar Lok Sabha
constituency in 1980 and represented the seat for four terms. He was also the Chairman of the All India Seva Dal and Chairman of the AICC Minority Cell for a few years. He also held the post of the President of the Bihar unit of Congress.
Anwar was elected as member of the Congress Working Committee in 1997 and was made a General Secretary of the party. He was re-appointed as AICC General Secretary in June 1998 by Congress chief Sonia Gandhi, a post he held till May
1999 when he parted ways with the party to set up the NCP with Pawar and Sangma. Anwar has been made Minister of State for Agriculture and Food Processing under his political boss Pawar.
- BSF Says 7 Pakistani Rangers, Terrorist Killed Along Jammu Border, Pak Denies
- Hillary Clinton, Trump Spending Furiously as Election Day Approaches
- For Dialogue, Pakistan Must Stop Infiltration on Border: Mehbooba Mufti
- Pakistan Violates Ceasefire in Kathua District, 1 BSF Jawan Injured
- Death of 15 Birds in Gwalior Zoo Rings Alarm Bells
- Pierce Brosnan Thought He Was Endorsing A Tooth Whitener, Twitter Had A Field Day
- Nintendo Switch: Here's Why Twitterati is Relating The Game Console to Porn
- Nintendo Switch Home And Handheld Gaming Modular Console Released