NCW, NHRC behaving like political parties: Maya
The UP chief minister said NCW and NHRC give undue importance to the smallest of happenings in the State.
Lucknow: Under attack over the murder of a teenaged girl in a police station in Lakhimpur Kheri, Uttar Pradesh chief minister Mayawati on Tuesday shot off a letter to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh charging various national commissions with behaving like political parties.
National Commission for Women and National Human Rights Commission have voiced concern over the murder of the girl and NHRC has sent a fact-finding team to Lakhimpur Kheri.
Mayawati said NCW and NHRC give "undue importance to the smallest" of happenings in Uttar Pradesh, they "remain silent" on incidents and law and order situation in Congress-ruled states.
"This only goes on to prove that these national commissions are behaving like politial parties shunning their constitutional obligtions", Mayawati added.
In her letter, Mayawati has asked the PM to direct the Haryana government to provide justice to dalits of Mirchpur village who were allegedly subjected to police lathi charge while they were demanding rights.
She alleged the National Commissions, including SC/ST Commission, National Commission for Women and National Human Rights Commission have been very active in all the "minor" incidents in Uttar Pradesh but "failed" to discharge their
duties in Haryana.
Targetting the SC Commission Chairman P.L Punia, she said though he belongs to Haryana he is "silent" on atrocities on dalits in that state and asked him to go there and help them get justice and security. "Otherwise, he has no right to
continue on this post", she said.
- Watch: Ranbir Kapoor Expresses the Pain of One-sided Love Convincingly in Channa Mereya
- Irom Sharmila Meets Kejriwal, Seeks Advice on Fighting Manipur Polls
- BJP Accuses AAP of Nepotism, Alleges it Gave Contractual Jobs to Volunteers
- Eyeing Punjab, Kejriwal Meets Radha Soami Sect Chief at Beas
- MS Dhoni: The Untold Story Review: Journey of a Small-Town Boy With Big Dreams
- Pakistan Also Capable of Executing Surgical Strikes: Nawaz Sharif
- Not Playing Pakistani Journalist in Noor: Sonakshi Sinha
- Kareena Kapoor Rejected Saif Ali Khan's Marriage Proposal the First Time