Never sought special package for Bengal: Mamata
Mamata Banerjee asserted that her two-day visit to Delhi had no political agenda.
Kolkata: West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee said she had never sought a special package for her state and asserted that her two-day visit to Delhi starting on Monday had no political agenda.
"I am not begging, neither am I demanding a special package (for West Bengal). But I want to know why Bengal is continuously being deprived. Despite all the problems that we are facing, Bengal is number one in performance in the country," Mamata said.
"I am not going to Delhi for anything political. I will meet the prime minister and the union finance minister regarding finances and development of our state," she added. Mamata is to leave for Delhi on Monday evening.
She will meet Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on Tuesday and Finance Minister P Chidambaram on Wednesday.
The Trinamool Congress supremo, in a veiled threat to the prime minister, said: "We have met the prime minister several times on the issue (of development). If he still does not pay heed, we will see what we can do."
She also criticised the central government for allowing the previous Left Front regime in the state to "borrow relentlessly", the fallout of which, she said, was being borne by her government now.
"The most debt-ridden states in the country are Kerala, Punjab and Bengal, but our situation is worse than the other two states. We have to pay the centre more than we earn," added Mamata.
- Cyrus Mistry Ouster: Reasons not Provided in Board Meeting to Avoid Public Battle
- Tata Leadership Tussle Moves from Boardroom to Courtroom
- Tata Shake-up May Distract Group from Restructuring Efforts
- Abhishek Kapoor Will Always Remain a Friend: Farhan Akhtar
- Trump Calls Attack on ISIS in Mosul a 'Disaster', Hillary Lashes Out
- Pakistan Selectors Name Unchanged Squad for 3rd Test Against West Indies
- India can Produce up to 492 nuclear Bombs, Claims Pakistan Think-tank
- PM Nawaz Sharif has Become Security Risk for Pakistan, Says Imran Khan