DON'T SHARE NUISANCE.
New governors named for Assam, Gujarat, Tripura
Former Orissa CM Janaki Ballabh Patnaik was made Assam Governor.
New Delhi/Agartala: Former Orissa chief minister Janaki Ballabh Patnaik was on Saturday appointed the governor of Assam and Tripura governor Kamla, transferred to Gujarat for remaining period of her term.
Educationist from Maharashtra, D Y Patil, has been appointed the governor of Tripura in place of Kamla, who took oath as Tripura governor on October 15, 2009.
Eighty-three-year-old Tripura governor Kamla, was earlier the deputy chief minister of Rajasthan and was also the first woman governor of any northeastern state.
Patnaik, 82, who was the Orissa chief minister from June 1980 to December 1989, will take charge from Syed Sibtey Razi, whose term comes to an end December 9.
The appointments will take effect from the dates they assume charge of their respective offices, the statement issued by the Rashtrapati Bhavan said.
While the terms of several governors, including Punjab Governor S F Rodrigues, are over, Saturday's decision only covers three states - Assam, Gujarat and Tripura.
Recommended For You
- Champions Trophy 2017: Pakistan - Strengths and Weaknesses
- Maruti Suzuki Says Most Models to Have Automatic Transmission Options by 2020
- Priyanka, Ranveer Extend Their Love to Sachin Tendulkar For His Biopic
- Spiderman: Homecoming Trailer Gives Detailed Glimpse of Vulture
- Should Have Been Picked to Play in IPL Final, Says Harbhajan Singh