Bihar's special status: Nitish meets Chidambaram
The meeting took place just a day after Nitish Kumar addressed a massive rally at Delhi's Ramlila Ground.
New Delhi: Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar met Finance Minister P Chidambaram and Planning Commission Deputy Chairperson Montek Singh Ahluwalia on special status for Bihar on Monday. The meeting took place just a day after Nitish Kumar addressed a massive rally at Delhi's Ramlila Ground in support of special status for Bihar. He will also meet Prime Minister Manmohan Singh later on Monday to discuss the issue
During the Adhikar rally on Sunday, Kumar signalled his intentions of playing a bigger role in national politics. The Janata Dal (United) leader declared that his fight for a special status to the state would continue till the Centre accepted it. Buoyed by the cheering crowd which numbered over 50,000, Nitish Kumar delivered an impassioned speech and in a well-crafted move also exhorted other backward states to demand special status.
He hinted that he would not hesitate to support the party which helped him achieve special status for Bihar. The call for other backward states to join his struggle is being seen as Kumar trying to position himself as a leader of a possible non-Congress, non-Bharatiya Janata Party led political front in 2014.
The statement can be seen as a warning to the BJP, which incidentally is his ally in the Bihar, to not take him for granted. Kumar also tried to position himself as a possible rival to Narendra Modi by taking a potshot at the Gujarat Chief Minister, who has been claiming that he has set a new benchmark by turning Gujarat into a developed state.
Kumar said that he had turned around Bihar during the last seven years of his rule and his agenda was to ensure that all sections of the society were able to reap the benefits of development. He went on to add that only those who had an inclusive developmental agenda would be able to rule India.
- After Google and Salesforce, Disney Now Wants to Buy Twitter
- Google Station, YouTube Go, Google Play for 2G Launched
- Google to Provide Public Wi-Fi Hotspots in Malls, Universities in India
- 'Daring Voice of India's Pride' at UNGA Wins Applause From AAP
- Colombia, Marxist Rebels Sign Accord Ending 52-Year War
- 'Let Loose the Yellow Butterflies', Say FARC Rebels Approving Peace Accord With Colombia
- Kareena Kapoor is Setting Trends During Pregnancy: Soha Ali Khan
- Kareena Kapoor Rings In Her 36th Birthday With Ranbir, Karisma, Saif Ali Khan