Bihar's special status: Nitish meets Chidambaram
The meeting took place just a day after Nitish Kumar addressed a massive rally at Delhi's Ramlila Ground.
New Delhi: Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar met Finance Minister P Chidambaram and Planning Commission Deputy Chairperson Montek Singh Ahluwalia on special status for Bihar on Monday. The meeting took place just a day after Nitish Kumar addressed a massive rally at Delhi's Ramlila Ground in support of special status for Bihar. He will also meet Prime Minister Manmohan Singh later on Monday to discuss the issue
During the Adhikar rally on Sunday, Kumar signalled his intentions of playing a bigger role in national politics. The Janata Dal (United) leader declared that his fight for a special status to the state would continue till the Centre accepted it. Buoyed by the cheering crowd which numbered over 50,000, Nitish Kumar delivered an impassioned speech and in a well-crafted move also exhorted other backward states to demand special status.
He hinted that he would not hesitate to support the party which helped him achieve special status for Bihar. The call for other backward states to join his struggle is being seen as Kumar trying to position himself as a leader of a possible non-Congress, non-Bharatiya Janata Party led political front in 2014.
The statement can be seen as a warning to the BJP, which incidentally is his ally in the Bihar, to not take him for granted. Kumar also tried to position himself as a possible rival to Narendra Modi by taking a potshot at the Gujarat Chief Minister, who has been claiming that he has set a new benchmark by turning Gujarat into a developed state.
Kumar said that he had turned around Bihar during the last seven years of his rule and his agenda was to ensure that all sections of the society were able to reap the benefits of development. He went on to add that only those who had an inclusive developmental agenda would be able to rule India.
- Akhilesh Yadav Sacks Shivpal Yadav, Four Other Ministers From Cabinet
- Samajwadi Party Live: Akhilesh Sacks Shivpal, 3 Other Ministers From Cabinet; Says Amar Singh Backers Not Required
- Akhilesh is Not Forming a New Party: Shivpal Yadav's Son
- Watch: India @9 With Bhupendra Chaubey
- Watch: Karan Johar Reveals His Funniest Moments On Koffee With Karan
- Bigg Boss 10, Day 6: Salman Khan Loves Lokesh's Funny Antics
- Arun Jaitley Calls on Private Sector to Invest, Cites Low Cost of Capital
- Islamic State Using Civilians as Human Shields Against Iraqi Troops: UN Official