No request from Kejriwal to meet Shetty: Yerawada jail
Yerwada Jail superintendent Yogesh Desai said that Wednesday was holiday, which is when Kejriwal has planned to meet Shetty.
Pune: Yerawada jail authorities on Tuesday said they had not received any request from activist Arvind Kejriwal to meet farmers' leader Raju Shetty at the prison. "Daily we get many requests from relatives of jail inmates (to meet them) but we have not received any such application from Arvind Kejriwal for allowing him to meet Raju Shetty," Yerwada Jail Superintendent Yogesh Desai said while adding Wednesday was holiday for the jail.
He was responding to a query on media reports whether Kejriwal would be meeting Shetty in the jail. Shetty, an MP and 'Swabhimani Shetkari Sanghatna' leader was spearheading agitation of farmers against refusal of cooperative sugar factories in Sangli, Satara and Kolhapur districts of western Maharashtra to give Rs 3,000 per tonne as first advance on sugarcane purchase this season.
Factories have agreed to pay Rs 2,300 per tonne. His detention on Monday sparked large-scale violence with protesting farmers torching two state transport buses and a police jeep in Pune district. Protests were also witnessed in parts of western Maharashtra.
Recommended For You
- Claudio Ranieri Sacking Shows How Heartless Modern Day Football Is
- New KTM Duke 390, Duke 250, Duke 200 Launched; Prices Start at Rs 1.43 Lakh
- Baahubali 2 Motion Poster Indicates Just How Epic the Film Is Going to Be
- Kumble Defends Kohli & Co, Says It Was Just One Bad Day For India
- Rangoon Review: Kangana Shines in This War-Time Romance