No threat to my government, says Jagadish Shettar
With the acceptance of resignation of 12 MLAs, the BJP now has a strength of 105, Congress 71, JDS 26, independents seven and the Speaker.
Bangalore: Karnataka Chief Minister Jagadish Shettar on Monday asserted there was no threat to his government in the wake of resignation by some BJP MLAs and he would be presenting his maiden budget on February 8. "There is no threat to the government. On February 8 I am going to present the budget. Nothing to worry," he told reporters after Governor HR Bhardwaj's address to the joint state legislature session here.
Shettar said he would welcome constructive criticism and suggestion from opposition parties, when his attention was drawn to opposition criticisms on his government. Days ahead of the session, 13 rebel BJP MLAs loyal to former Chief Minister and Karnataka Janata Party president BS Yeddyurappa had submitted their resignations from the House membership to Speaker KG Bopaiah, who accepted 12 and rejected one on technical grounds.
One more BJP MLA had submitted his resignation on February 1, but its fate is yet to be known. The development posed no threat to the six month-old Shettar ministry as the effective strength of the 224-member House has been reduced with 12 more seats falling vacant in addition to the two earlier.
With the acceptance of resignation of 12 MLAs, the BJP now has a strength of 105, Congress 71, JDS 26, independents seven (one of whom is supporting the Government and is in the Ministry) and the Speaker.
- Tamil Nadu Government Constitutes Advisory Committee Under Disaster Management
- Ranji Trophy, Group A: Aditya, Rajat take MP to 239/2 against Mumbai on Day 1
- Karnataka Agrees to Comply With SC Order to Release 2,000 Cusecs to TN
- No Medical Bulletin on Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa for Eighth Day
- Justice Lodha Speaks on SC's Decision to Curb BCCI's Financial Prowess
- BCCI vs Lodha: SC Limits BCCI's Financial Powers, Asks Panel to Appoint Auditor
- Apple Launch Event on October 27: What to Expect?
- 90% Apple Lightning-to-USB Cables Sold on Amazon, Groupon Are Fake