Punjab: Jagir Kaur's plea for TV in jail rejected
Punjab DGP (Prisons) Shashi Kant has ordered a probe into reports of Jagir Kaur's VIP treatment.
Chandigarh: Shiromani Akali Dal leader and former Punjab minister Bibi Jagir Kaur's application for a TV in her jail cell has been turned down by Punjab Director General of Police (Prisons) Shashi Kant. Kant had ordered an inquiry on Wednesday into reports of VIP treatment being provided to Jagir Kaur.
He deputed an IG rank officer to conduct the probe. The officer is likely to visit the jail premises on Thursday. Kant had also written a letter to Kapurthala jail Superintendent, SP Khanna, asking him to strictly follow the rules.
Kant said that Kaur had been first sent to Patiala jail but she sought to be transferred to Kapurthala jail as her native village Begowal was nearby. "This request was granted as it fell within the rules," he said.
He, however, said he will go by rules and ensure they are strictly followed. "I am head of this Department (as DGP Prisons). I have to see to it that principles of justice are upheld. I don't see any difference between a political leader and an ordinary prisoner. Rules are the same for everybody and if anybody tries to distort or break them, he will have to pay for it," Kant added.
The prison authorities had on Wednesday prevented many of her supporters from meeting her following criticism of VIP treatment being given to her inside the jail.
The state police had came in for sharp criticism on Tuesday for violating rules after some officials were caught on camera touching Jagir's feet and allowing visitors to meet her inside the Kapurthala jail.
The former Shiromani Gurdwara Parbandhak Committee chief has been convicted and sentenced to five years rigorous imprisonment for the abduction and forced abortion of her daughter Harpreet 12 years ago. She was, however, acquitted of murder charge against her.
(With additional information from PTI)
- Watch: India @9 With Bhupendra Chaubey
- SP Old Guard Meet Akhilesh Yadav, Bid to Defuse 'Explosive' Situation
- Centre Forms Three-member Committee to Keep Bird Flu in Check
- Live: No End to Samajwadi Party Crisis, Old Guard Meet CM Akhilesh
- Watch: Masand's Verdict On Tom Cruise's Jack Reacher: Never Go Back
- Islamic State Using Civilians as Human Shields Against Iraqi Troops: UN Official
- Jack Reacher: Never Go Back Review: Lacks Suspense, High-Adrenaline Thrills
- Islamic State Has Seized 550 Iraqi Families to Use as Human Shields, Says UN