Operation Blue Star memorial 'anti-national': BJP
Rajiv Pratap Rudy said the people of Punjab should not be distracted by such things and should move forward instead.
New Delhi: The BJP, which is part of the ruling alliance in Punjab, on Wednesday opposed the construction of Operation Blue Star memorial in Amritsar by radical sikhs, terming it "anti-national" and asked people to move forward and not be distracted.
While senior BJP leader Balbir Punj termed the move as "anti-national", party spokesperson Rajiv Pratap Rudy said the people of Punjab should not be distracted by such things and should move forward instead.
Their reaction came a day after Shiromani Akali Dali chief and Punjab Deputy Chief Minister Sukhbir Singh Badal distanced himself and the state government from the construction of the memorial.
"Let Punjab move forward and let's not be distracted," Rudy said, adding that the Khalistan movement was supported by Pakistan to divide India's Punjab.
"Khalistan was a Pakistani agenda to divide India vis-a-vis Punjab. Thanks to the valour of Punjab which fought the fundamentalists and extremists in the state. Let no one embolden Pakistan which has even lost the proxy war.
"People of Punjab have rejected the Congress and chosen the path of development instead," Rudy said. The 28th anniversary of Operation Bluestar, launched to flush out militants from Sikh holy shrine the Golden Temple in 1984, was on Wednesday observed at the Akal Takht, the highest temporal seat, an event from which Punjab's ruling Shiromani Akali Dal kept away.
To mark the occasion, bricks for a controversial memorial for those who were killed in the operation by security forces were laid by the five Sikh head priests along with Jatehedar Akal Takht Gyani Gurbachan Singh and SGPC President Avtar Singh Makkar.
Punjab Deputy Chief Minister Sukhbir Singh Badal after initially supporting the Memorial on Wednesday distanced himself and the state government from construction of the memorial.
- Jio MAMI 2016: Mira is an Opinionated Girl, Keeps Me Grounded: Shahid Kapoor
- I Want To Be My Best For My Daughter: Shahid Kapoor
- Theatre Is a Beautiful Platform, Says Shahid Kapoor
- Pakistan Will Pay Heavy Price if it Attacks our Troops: BSF Official
- Excerpts From the Mistry Email Alleges That Ratan Tata was a Behind the Scenes Presence
- Cyrus Mistry's Explosive Email to Tata Board Hints He Was Made a 'Lame Duck'
- BJP Terms Family Feud in Samajwadi Party as 'Fixed Match'
- Full Text of Cyrus Mistry Interview that Tata Group Scrapped
From Our Network
- Samajwadi Party drama enters 5th day: Akhilesh-Shivpal feud sparks SP-Congress alliance ahead of UP polls- FirstPost
- Diwali gift for commuters, DND flyway made toll free after Allahabad High Court order - Pradesh18
- Inspiring: Shahdol man, who lost both arms in an accident, drives auto-rickshaw to earn living - Pradesh18