PA Sangma to launch his own party on January 5
Former Lok Sabha Speaker Sangma was expelled from NCP when he refused to quit the Presidential election in July.
New Delhi: PA Sangma, who broke ranks with the NCP to fight Presidential election against Pranab Mukherjee, will launch his own party on January 5. Sangma's National People's Party (NPP) will be formally launched at a function in the capital. His daughter Agatha, an NCP MP, may not join the new outfit as of now.
"Tomorrow, we will have our first central executive committee meeting and then our party will be launched by Sangma. We will make several important announcements tomorrow," Alok Kumar Goel, National Secretary of the new party, told reporters.
'Book' will be the election symbol the party will seek from the Election Commission, a party press release said. Sangma along with Pawar and Tariq Anwar had quit Congress in 1999 and formed NCP questioning the right of Sonia Gandhi to lead the party due to her foreign origin.
The nine-time MP and former Lok Sabha Speaker was expelled from NCP in the run up to the Presidential election in July when he refused to quit the race and lost the fight. NCP is a constituent of the Congress-led UPA and Mukherjee was its candidate.
Queried whether Sangma's daughter and NCP MP Agatha will join the outfit, Goel said, "Agatha is with the party. She will fully support and campaign for the party. But as there is anti-defection law in place, we can't say anything as of now whether she will officially join us or not."
Agatha, who was junior minister in UPA government, lost his job after she campaigned for her father in the presidential polls. Goel, however, didn't make it clear whether NPP will join hands with NDA in near future. "We will announce everything tomorrow only," said Goel
- After Rita Bahuguna Joshi's Exit, More Congress Veterans Eye BJP
- Pierce Brosnan Thought He Was Endorsing A Tooth Whitener, Twitter Had A Field Day
- Reliance Jio 4G Speeds Slow? Here's What You Need to Know About Daily FUP
- Pan Masala Row: Saddened to Know It Can Cause Cancer, Says Pierce Brosnan
- Donald Trump Says He Will Win General Elections
- Hillary Clinton Says She Will No Longer Respond to Donald Trump
- TWTW: Cyrus Broacha's take on 3rd US Presidential Debate between Trump and Hillary
- Donald Trump Says Will Not Approve AT&T-Time Warner Deal If Elected President
From Our Network
- Samajwadi Party LIVE: Mulayam Singh Yadav expels Ram Gopal for 6 years from party; Shivpal Yadav says he conspired with BJP- FirstPost
- This co-operative society manager with Rs 8,000 salary is a crorepati - Pradesh18
- Boy tied to pole, mercilessly beaten for stealing cigarettes from a shop - Pradesh18