Panchayat polls: WB seeks forces from other states
The three-phase Panchayat polls are scheduled to begin on July 2.
Kolkata: With no response from Punjab, Madhya Pradesh and Odisha as yet, the West Bengal government has decided to request other state governments for armed forces for the three phase panchayat polls beginning July 2. "The state government is now writing to some more states like Maharashtra, Uttar Pradesh, Tamil Nadu and Gujarat for state armed police (SAP), since we are yet to receive any response from the states we requested earlier," state secretariat sources said on Tuesday.
"We are also renewing our appeal to the MHA for more than 300 companies of central para-military forces in the emerging scenario in the absence of SAP from other states," the sources said. The state government had requested Punjab for 50 companies and Madhya Pradesh and Odisha 40 companies each.
Last month, a division bench of the Calcutta High Court had asked the state government to compensate the shortfall of security personnel by procuring forces from other states or the Centre.
Recommended For You
- Moto 3rd Anniversary Sale on Flipkart: Huge Discounts on Moto Z, Moto M and More
- News18 Movie Awards 2017: Nominees For Best Singer (Male)
- Kangana, Shahid Promote Rangoon on TKSS: 5 Laugh Out Loud Moments
- Shahid Kapoor's Pre-Birthday Bash: Deepika, Alia, Katrina steal the show
- Jaguar XE, XF and F-Pace Owners Can Soon Pay for Fuel Through Their Infotainment System