DON'T SHARE NUISANCE.
Panchayat polls: WB seeks forces from other states
The three-phase Panchayat polls are scheduled to begin on July 2.
Kolkata: With no response from Punjab, Madhya Pradesh and Odisha as yet, the West Bengal government has decided to request other state governments for armed forces for the three phase panchayat polls beginning July 2. "The state government is now writing to some more states like Maharashtra, Uttar Pradesh, Tamil Nadu and Gujarat for state armed police (SAP), since we are yet to receive any response from the states we requested earlier," state secretariat sources said on Tuesday.
"We are also renewing our appeal to the MHA for more than 300 companies of central para-military forces in the emerging scenario in the absence of SAP from other states," the sources said. The state government had requested Punjab for 50 companies and Madhya Pradesh and Odisha 40 companies each.
Last month, a division bench of the Calcutta High Court had asked the state government to compensate the shortfall of security personnel by procuring forces from other states or the Centre.
Recommended For You
- When Caste Killed Community in Saharanpur
- Sachin: A Billion Dreams Review: A Rush Of Nostalgia For Tendulkar's Fans
- GST Impact – Mercedes Announces Price Reduction by Upto 9%
- Pirates of The Caribbean-Salazar's Revenge Review: This One Doesn't Disappoint
- Rishabh Pant Adds New Mercedes to His Garage After IPL Heroics