Parliament to be adjourned on Monday as tribute to Gujral
Inder Kumar Gujral breathed his last at a private hospital in Gurgaon, Haryana, on Friday.
New Delhi: Both houses of parliament will be adjourned for the day on Monday after paying tributes to former prime minister Inder Kumar Gujral, who died on November 30. "Both houses will pay tributes to the former prime minister and will be adjourned for the day on Monday as a mark of respect to him," Minister of State for Parliamentary Affairs Rajeev Shukla said.
Gujral breathed his last at a private hospital in Gurgaon, Haryana, on Friday. He was 92. He was cremated on Saturday in Delhi with full state honours in the presence of the country's top leadership, including President Pranab Mukherjee and Prime Minister Manmohan Singh.
He is survived by two sons, Naresh and Vishal, and brother Satish Gujral, a prominent painter and architect. His wife Sheila died in 2011. Smriti Sthal, where the cremation took place, is located between Jawaharlal Nehru's 'samadhi' Shanti Van and Lal Bahadur Shastri's 'samadhi' Vijay Ghat. Diplomats from various countries, including Pakistan, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, Bhutan, Singapore and Russia, were also present at the cremation.
Recommended For You
- Zlatan Ibrahimovic Powers Manchester United to League Cup Glory
- Priyanka Chopra, Deepika Padukone Turn The Heat Up At Pre-Oscar 2017 Party
- OnePlus 5 to Launch in April: All You Need to Know of the Waterproof Phone
- Oscars 2017: Lion Actor Sunny Pawar Makes His Big Academy Debut
- Oscars 2017: Why Dev Patel Deserves to Win for Lion