PDP rally against custodial death of NC worker
Syed Mohammad Yousuf allegedly died in police custody after being handed over to the Crime Branch.
Srinagar: The PDP on Wednesday took to streets in Srinagar to protest against the alleged custodial death of a ruling National Conference worker with party president Mehbooba Mufti warning of a "long battle".
Several PDP legislators and hundreds of party workers marched from the party headquarters to Lal Chowk through Residency Road. They held a sit-in at Regal Chowk after riot police stopped them.
The opposition party is demanding the "killers" of ruling National Conference worker Syed Mohammad Yousuf, who allegedly died in police custody after being handed over to the Crime Branch, be identified and brought to justice.
Yousuf's death in mysterious circumstances last week has created a political storm in the state. Calls for the resignation of Chief Minister Omar Abdullah and his close aide have gained impetus.
"A person (Yousuf) goes hale and hearty into Chief Minister's residence and comes out half dead. This is not only the question of Mohammad Yousuf, but an issue of a common man," Mehbooba said addressing her party workers.
The PDP president was accompanied by party leaders Dilawar Mir and Nizam-ud-din Bhat.
A large number of policemen had cordoned off the road leading to the Clock Tower. Police also charged on onlookers and party workers, leading to brief chaotic scenes.
The PDP leader asked her party workers to prepare themselves for a "long battle" to bring in a change. Mehbooba alleged that there has been a breakdown in the system of governance in the state and accused Omar of leading a corrupt government.
"When Mohammad Yousuf gave evidence of corruption to the chief minister, the proof was uprooted," she said, alleging that the latter has turned his home into an "interrogation" centre.
The opposition leader also accused Omar of ordering "eye-wash" investigations, raking up the issue of Parliament attack convict Afzal Guru and making public the names of rape victims.
- Watch: Masand's Verdict On Tom Cruise's Jack Reacher: Never Go Back
- Varun Gandhi Rejects Charges Against Him As False, Frivolous
- Jack Reacher: Never Go Back Review: Lacks Suspense, High-Adrenaline Thrills
- 'Jack Reacher: Never Go Back' Review: The Film is Dull and Predictable
- Watch: Karan Johar Reveals His Funniest Moments On Koffee With Karan
- Bigg Boss 10, Day 6: Salman Khan Loves Lokesh's Funny Antics
- Bigg Boss 10: Antara Biswas Wants to Grab Salman Khan's Attention
- Apple Launch Event on October 27: What to Expect?