People spending beyond capacity for RTI info will be referred to I-T dept: Goa CM
The Goa CM had recently issued circular to all the government departments asking names of people who seek information under RTI.
Panaji: In a veiled warning to RTI activists in Goa, Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar has said that cases where people are found spending money disproportionate to their known sources of earning, to procure information under the Act, shall be referred to Income Tax department.
"If anyone spends lakhs of rupees to source information under RTI in various departments without having the capacity to pay so much, then it is my responsibility to refer the matter to Income Tax," Parrikar told a gathering of small scale industrialists here yesterday.
The CM had recently issued circular to all the government departments asking names of people who seek information under RTI.
While Parrikar initially had claimed that he did so to know whether foreigners were given information under the Act, the RTI activists had alleged that the circular was to suppress the information.
"RTI is a good act but the question mark is on the people who source the information under it," he said, adding that "there are many people who are negative in their thoughts with a design in mind."
The Chief Minister at the same breath clarified that he does not say that all RTI applicants are doing it with malice. "There are many genuine people who seek information under the Act," he said.
- SAARC Summit Could be Postponed If India Not Attending: Pakistan
- Force 2 Poster: John Abraham Returns as a Tough, Intense Cop
- Shraddha Kapoor Wanted To Be a Part Of 'Rock On' 8 Years Ago
- Rock on 2's New Song Jaago Urges You to Live Life On Your Own Terms
- Soldier Inadvertently Crossed LoC, Pakistan Has Been Informed: Army
- After Cross-LoC Strikes, Indian High Commissioner Summoned By Pakistan
- Uran Terror Scare: Navi Mumbai Cops Call Off Search Operation
- Navy Calls off Search Operations in URAN; ATS, Police Continue the Hunt
From Our Network
- RSS slapping cases because I fight for the poor: Rahul Gandhi in Guwahati court over temple row- FirstPost
- After surgical strikes, Mulayam Singh demands Narendra Modi take back Pakistan occupied Kashmir - Pradesh18
- Defamation case: Amid high drama, Court stays arrest warrant against Uma Bharti - Pradesh18