Suryanelli gangrape case: Kurien meets Sonia in Delhi
Kurien had earlier sought appointment with Sonia to discuss the 1996 case.
New Delhi: Rajya Sabha Deputy Chairman PJ Kurien, facing allegations in Suryanelli gangrape case, met Congress President Sonia Gandhi in Delhi on Thursday. Kurien had earlier sought appointment with Sonia to discuss the 1996 case.
Denying allegations against him, Kurien has been refusing to step down. He has claimed that he was being victim of a political conspiracy. In 1996, in Kerala's Suryanelli, bordering the tea gardens of Munnar, a teenaged girl was raped by over 42 men including a bus conductor and many others. Faced with ostracisation, the victim's family had to leave the village.
Kurien was acquitted in the case, but the gangrape survivor named him as one of the men who assaulted her in 1996. She had also sent a letter to the Supreme Court, asking for a review of the apex court's order quashing all charges against Kurien.
- BCCI Seeks Directives From Lodha Panel on Media Rights Tender
- Centre Forms Three-member Committee to Keep Bird Flu in Check
- Philippines President Duterte Does a U-turn, Says Won't Sever US Ties
- Death of 15 Birds in Gwalior Zoo Rings Alarm Bells
- Watch: Masand's Verdict On Tom Cruise's Jack Reacher: Never Go Back
- Jack Reacher: Never Go Back Review: Lacks Suspense, High-Adrenaline Thrills
- 'Jack Reacher: Never Go Back' Review: The Film is Dull and Predictable
- 31st October Movie Review: Has Nothing New to Offer
From Our Network
- Rising MNS is bad news for Shiv Sena: Ae Dil Hai Mushkil agitation helped BJP to counter its bitter ally- FirstPost
- Ramdev pegs 200% growth for Patanjali this year; promises big ticket investment in Madhya Pradesh - Pradesh18
- CM Nitish Kumar wishes speedy recovery to injured Mamata Banerjee’s nephew - Pradesh18