Planning Commission a club of 'anti-poor' people: CPI
CPI national secretary Atul Kumar Anjaan said it was 'ridiculous' that the Planning Commission has described a person earning Rs 29 a day as not poor.
Patna: Flaying the Planning Commission's assessment that a person earning Rs 29 daily should not be deemed as poor, the CPI on Wednesday described the panel as a club of "anti-poor" people.
CPI national secretary Atul Kumar Anjaan said it was "ridiculous" that the Planning Commission has described a person earning Rs 29 a day as not poor.
"It will be appropriate to describe the commission as a club of anti-poor people," Anjaan told reporters here.
If a person earning Rs 29 a day has to be elevated beyond poverty level, then as much as five crore people have crossed the barrier of poverty in a matter of six months when the panel had fixed that income level at Rs 32, he said.
He hit out at the UPA government for prevalence of poverty in the country and recalled that the former prime minister Indira Gandhi had given a call in 1972 to remove poverty, but it has not been done till date as the number of poor people has increased over the years.
Stating that Prime Minister Manmohan Singh had admitted that 43 per cent children were malnourished in the country, he asked the plan panel whether it agreed with the Singh's statement.
Attacking the UPA government for alleged lack of credibility and stability, Anjaan said it has been forced to keep the Trinamool Congress and the Samajwadi Party in good humours to cling to power.
- Cyrus Mistry Ouster: Reasons not Provided in Board Meeting to Avoid Public Battle
- Tata Leadership Tussle Moves from Boardroom to Courtroom
- Tata Shake-up May Distract Group from Restructuring Efforts
- Cyrus Mistry Ouster: Tatas File Caveats in SC, HC and National Company Law Tribunal
- Quetta Terror Attack: 3 Terrorists Killed, Over 60 Dead
- Quetta Attack: Why Pak's 'Action Plan' on Terror Became 'Inaction Plan'
- US Condemns Terror Attack in Pakistan's Quetta
- Quetta Terror Attack: Lashkar-e-Jhangvi Suspected To Be Behind The Deadly Assault