Prime Minister Manmohan Singh to visit Chhattisgarh today
Manmohan Singh will be meeting Chhattisgarh Chief Minister Raman Singh to review state security.
New Delhi: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Congress president Sonia Gandhi will visit Chhattisgarh on Sunday in the wake of the Naxal attack that left 21 persons, including some Congress party leaders dead. Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi has already left for the state.
Manmohan Singh is likely to reach Raipur by 11 am on Sunday morning and meet Chhattisgarh Chief Minister Raman Singh to review security in the state following Saturday's Naxal attack.
On Saturday a large group of heavily-armed Naxals ambushed Congress's Parivartan Yatra and killed at least 21 people including anti-Naxal movement Salwa Jumdum's founder Mahendra Karma, former Congress MLA Uday Mudliyar and several Congress leaders and workers in the dense forest of Jagdalpur district.
Following the carnage the Naxals also abducted state Congress president Nand Kumar Patel and his son Dinesh Patel. At least 30 people were also injured in the attack including veteran Congress leader Vidya Charan Shukla, MLA Kwasi Lakhma and prominent party worker Gopi Vadhwani, who were rushed to a hospital in Jagdalapur.
The seriously injured were later shifted to a hospital in Raipur while Shukla has been admitted to Medanta Hospital in Gurgaon, near Delhi.
Recommended For You
- India vs Australia: Heaviest Defeats for India at Home Since 1987
- Vijay Hazare Trophy: MS Dhoni Scores 43 But Jharkhand Loses to Karnataka
- News18 Movie Awards 2017: Amit Trivedi Gives Competition to Pritam in Best Music Category
- Fitness Freak Jacqueline Fernandez Loves Trying Different Workout Routines
- MINI Cooper D (5-Door) Review: A Classic That Encapsulates Modern Technology