Congress will win in UP: Manmohan Singh
The PM added that Sonia Gandhi and Rahul Gandhi will ensure Congress' victory in UP.
Kanpur: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on Friday kicked off the Congress campaign from Kanpur on Friday. Addressing the crowds, he said, "We have sent funds under various national schemes to Uttar Pradesh. Rs 24000 crore have been given to Uttar Pradesh government for roads alone. However, none of it has trickled down to the common man."
He added, "The Congress will win UP elections. Sonia Gandhi and Rahul Gandhi will ensure Congress' victory in UP."
Priyanka Gandhi, meanwhile, campaigned in Raebareli, where she touched upon a range of issues including the NRHM scam and Congress leader Beni Prasad's quota remark.
While speaking on alleged funds misuse in the state, she said, "Money that is being sent to the UP state under health schemes is not reaching the people. The money is being kept by a few in the state."
She added that the newspapers regularly carried reports on funds misuse in the NRHM scheme. "Rahul feels that the situation in UP has become very bad in last 22 years. There should be development in the state. The biggest state is amongst the least-developed states. This is naturally making him angry," she said.
She even demanded an inquiry into the deaths related to the NRHM scam.
Commenting on the Beni Prasad row, she said, "We respect the Election Commission. Sometimes these things happen during elections."
She added that it was not a policy of the Congress Party to ignore the EC.
- Honest Officers Being Removed Systematically: Kejriwal
- MS Dhoni: The Untold Story Box Office Collection Crosses Rs 21 Crore on Day 1
- Ranbir Kapoor Feels the Youth is Living in Hard Times Right Now
- Watch: Masand's Verdict on MS Dhoni: The Untold Story
- Not Playing Pakistani Journalist in Noor: Sonakshi Sinha
- Pakistani Artistes Are Not Terrorists, They Have Visas, Says Salman Khan
- Watch: Ranbir Kapoor Expresses the Pain of One-sided Love Convincingly in Channa Mereya
- IMPPA Passes Resolution Temporarily Banning Pakistani Artistes In India