PM to host dinner for UPA leaders today
The PM hosted dinner for Mulayam Singh Yadav and his son Akhilesh last week and followed it with lunch for Mayawati on Sunday.
New Delhi: Bracing up for an opposition onslaught in Parliament, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh will host dinner for UPA leaders on Friday to firm up a joint strategy on various issues like FDI that are expected to come up during the session beginning next week.
Singh's dinner with UPA leaders comes close on the heels of his similar interactions with leaders of crucial outside supporters Samajwadi Party and BSP. He hosted dinner for SP chief Mulayam Singh Yadav and his son Akhilesh last week and followed it with lunch for BSP chief Mayawati on Sunday.
The Prime Minister is reaching out to allies and outside supporters as the government faces the prospect of a motion entailing voting on FDI and even a possible threat of No-Confidence Motion.
The Left parties have tabled a motion that will seek a vote on FDI. The main opposition BJP, its ally JD(U) as also Trinamool Congress, which parted ways with the UPA few months back on the issue, have also given notices.
Those from the opposition who have given notices include Shatabdi Roy (TMC), Ramesh Bais, AT Nana Patil, Hansraj Ahir (all BJP) and Rajiv Ranjan Singh (JD-U).
To add to government's discomfiture, sulking ally DMK on Wednesday declined to disclose its stand on how it would vote either on such motions or the No-Confidence Motion, likely to be moved by Trinamool Congress. DMK chief M Karunanidhi said in Chennai on Wednesday that his party's stand on the FDI issue is a "suspense".
- Sam Allardyce Fights to Save England Job After Newspaper Sting
- Indus Treaty: How India Can Use Existing Provisions to Send a Message to Pakistan
- Colombia, Marxist Rebels Sign Accord Ending 52-Year War
- Indus Waters Treaty: India to Use Water as Weapon to Fight Pakistan
- Lenovo Sacks "Hundreds" of Employees at Motorola: Report
- Top 5: 4G Smartphones Under Rs 10,000; Is Xiaomi Still The King?
- Lenovo Z2 Plus With Snapdragon 820 Processor Launched At Rs 17,999
- Lenovo Z2 Plus Smartphone to Launch on September 22