PM's all-party meeting on Naxal issue to be held on Monday
Naxals had ambushed a convoy of Congress leaders in Bastar district on May 25, killing 27 people including PCC chief Nand Kumar Patel.
New Delhi: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh has convened an all-party meeting in Delhi on Monday to discuss ways to tackle Naxal menace in the backdrop of killing of Congress leaders in a Maoist attack in Chhattisgarh in May 2013. The meeting, also to be addressed by Home Minister Sushil Kumar Shinde, is expected to work towards evolving a consensus on the strategy to deal with the challenge posed by Left Wing Extremism.
A decision in this regard was taken at the meeting of the UPA Coordination Committee last week at the Prime Minister's residence, which was attended by Congress President Sonia Gandhi, NCP President Sharad Pawar, National Conference chief Farooq Abdullah and IUML chief E Ahamed. The Prime Minister had told the Chief Minister's Conference on Internal Security on Friday that the government's two-pronged anti-Maoist strategy of sustained operations and addressing development issues needed to be strengthened.
Naxals had ambushed a convoy of Congress leaders in Bastar district on May 25, killing 27 people including PCC chief Nand Kumar Patel, his son Dinesh, senior Congress leader Mahendra Karma and ex-MLA Uday Mudaliyar. Parliamentary Affairs Minister Kamal Nath had termed the incident as "an attack on very foundations of democracy and entire political system" and said it called for an all-party meeting.
- Grandmother of Captured Indian Soldier Chandu Babulal Chavan Dies of Shock
- India Shouldn't Unilaterally Scrap Indus Waters Treaty: Medha Patkar
- Confident of his Safe Return: Brother of Soldier Who Strayed Across LoC
- Will Tell India What is Real Surgical Strike: Hafiz Saeed
- MS Dhoni: The Untold Story Review: Journey of a Small-Town Boy With Big Dreams
- MS Dhoni: The Untold Story Review: Sushant Gives a Knockout Performance
- Watch: Ranbir Kapoor Expresses the Pain of One-sided Love Convincingly in Channa Mereya
- MS Dhoni: The Untold Story Movie Review: Must Watch for its Brilliant Execution