Poll panel for stern action against Owaisi
AIMIM leader allegedly beat up a TDP polling agent in Hyderabad.
Hyderabad: The Election Commission has taken a serious note of the rioting case involving All India Majlis-e-Ittehadul Muslimeen (AIMIM) President Asaduddin Owaisi seeking re-election from Hyderabad Lok Sabha constituency during polling on Thursday.
State Chief Elector Officer IV Subba Rao said in Hyderabad that the police have been instructed to register a case against the AIMIM leader who was shown by television channels chasing and beating up a polling agent of Telugu Desam Party (TDP) in the Maghalpura area.
Police have already booked a case of rioting against Owaisi, who is seeking re-election for a second consecutive term. ''We are very serious in the matter'', he said, adding that action would be taken against the candidate as per law.
Police have booked case against him under sections 147 (rioting), 448 (trespass), 324 (voluntarily causing hurt by dangerous weapons) read with sections 149 (unlawful assembly), 188 (disobedience to order promulgated by public servant) and section 132 of the Representation of People Act.
The young MP had gone there and beat up with a stick the TDP polling agent Syed Saleemuddin who was allegedly distributing money among voters in Sultan Shahi area.
- Philippines President Duterte Does a U-turn, Says Won't Sever US Ties
- US Has Few Good Options for Response to Philippine President Duterte
- Nearly 500 Dead, Food Running Out in Aleppo: UN Chief
- Watch: Kapil Sharma Leaves ADHM Cast in Splits
- Pakistan vs West Indies Live Score: 2nd Test, Day 2 in Abu Dhabi
- Pakistan Likely to Announce Name of New Army Chief in a Week
- Suspected Pakistani Spy Arrested in J&K's Samba District
- Schizophrenia Can't be Ground for Halting Death Penalty, Says Pakistan SC Citing Indian Judgment