Pranab asks Cong rebels to withdraw candidature
After expulsion of 15 rebels from the party, Cong asks the remaining dissidents to withdraw their candidature.
Jalpauguri: After expulsion of 15 rebel candidates from the party for contesting against its official nominees for the West Bengal Assembly polls, Congress on Friday appealed to the remaining dissidents to withdraw their candidature to defeat the ruling Left Front.
"I appeal to those (partymen) contesting as independents to withdraw their candidature. There is still time. Self-interest has to be sacrificed for the greater interest," Union Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee told an election rally in presence of AICC President Sonia Gandhi.
On April 13 Congress expelled 12 rebel candidates, including three sitting legislators, who defied the party line and filed nominations against official candidates of the Congress-Trinamool Congress combine.
The move came just a day after Mukherjee's warning that the rebels would face strong action, including expulsion, if they did not withdraw from the poll fray.
Recommended For You
- Mercedes-Benz E-Class Extended Wheelbase Launched at Rs 56.15 Lakh
- Ranveer Singh Is Exactly Who He is Dressing As, Says His Stylist
- Virat Kohli and Boys Go Trekking To Unwind After Pune Debacle
- Watch: How VJ Bani Debunks Stereotypes With Her Heavy Weight Training
- Shekhar Suman Takes a Dig at Kangana Ranaut, Twitteratis Shut Him up Perfectly