Pranab Mukherjee sworn in as the 13th President
Mukherjee was then given a 21-gun salute after which he signed the oath register amid a thunderous applause.
New Delhi: Pranab Mukherjee was on Wednesday sworn in as the country's 13th President at an impressive ceremony in the packed and historic Central Hall of Parliament.
Chief Justice of India SH Kapadia administered the oath of office to Mukherjee in the presence of Vice President Hamid Ansari, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar, UPA chairperson Sonia Gandhi, Union Ministers, Governors and a host of dignitaries.
Dressed in a black achkan (longcoat) and white churidar (trousers), Mukherjee took the oath of office in the name of God in English to "preserve, protect and defend the Constitution and the law".
Mukherjee was then given a 21-gun salute after which he signed the oath register amid a thunderous applause and thumping of desks.
The oath taking ceremony, marked by pomp and grandeur, began with the arrival of outgoing President Pratibha Patil and President-elect Mukherjee in a procession from the Rashtrapati Bhawan to the Parliament Building.
They were greeted by Kapadia, Ansari and Kumar who escorted them to the Central Hall. After the short ceremony, Mukherjee and Patil were escorted out of the Central Hall amid the roll of drums and blowing of trumpets.
Recommended For You
- POWER PACKEDLenovo K6 Power Review With Video: Best Android Phone Under Rs 10,000?
- Ready?Shah Rukh Khan, Salman Khan To Act Together In Movies Again?
- CASH CRUNCHIPTL 2016: Demonetisation Hits League, No Federer, Williams This Season
- In MemoriamJayalalithaa Filmography: 10 Musical Hits
- RIPJayalalithaa the Actor: Films That Mirrored Her Versatility