President poll: Deve Gowda to support Pranab
Deve Gowda's party the JD(S) has three Lok Sabha MPs from Karnataka and 26 MLAs in the state.
Bangalore: Janata Dal (Secular) leader HD Deve Gowda on Thursday announced his party's support to UPA's Presidential candidate Pranab Mukherjee. Deve Gowda said that Prime Minister Manmohan Singh had sought his support after the Congress core committee cleared the name of Mukherjee, who himself called him two days ago.
"I told the Prime Minister that I will stand by the UPA candidate", the JDS supremo, who has not been keeping well for the past one-and-half-month, said.
"The Finance Minister (Mukherjee) who is going to be the next President of India asked me to spell out my stand (in public) for which I told him I will call the media today and make the announcement," the former prime minister said.
Deve Gowda also said he is unable to understand why the support of JD(S), "a small party" as he put it, is sought to be made a big deal, adding his party backing may not count much as it had only three Lok Sabha members from Karnataka and 26 MLAs in the state.
- Russia Asks Pakistan to Take Steps to Contain Terror Groups
- UN Chief Offers to Mediate Between India, Pak to De-escalate Tension
- Surgical Strike Across LoC: US Objects to Pakistan's Nuclear Threats Against India
- Directors Trust Me Because I am a Curious Actor: Sushant Singh Rajput
- Allahabad HC Defers Hearing on Plea Challenging Narendra Modi's Election From Varanasi
- Pakistani Artistes Are Not Terrorists, They Have Visas, Says Salman Khan
- Watch: Ranbir Kapoor Expresses the Pain of One-sided Love Convincingly in Channa Mereya
- IMPPA Passes Resolution Temporarily Banning Pakistani Artistes In India