President poll: Nomination process starts today
The Presidential election is slated on July 19 through secret ballots which will be counted on July 22.
New Delhi: The process for filing of nominations for the July 19 Presidential poll starts on Saturday with the issue of notification by the Election Commission.
The filing of nominations will start at 11 AM on Saturday and will continue till June 30.
After scrutiny on July 2, candidates can withdraw their nominations by July 4. The Presidential election is slated on July 19 through secret ballots which will be counted on July 22. The term of incumbent President Pratibha Patil ends on July 24.
The electoral college for the Presidential poll is 4896, comprising 776 Members of both Houses of Parliament and 4120 Members of state legislative assemblies, including those of Delhi and Puducherry.
The total value of votes is 10,98,882, with that of MLAs being 5,49,474 and that of MPs being 5,49,408. Nominated members of Lok Sabha, Rajya Sabha and state assemblies are not entitled to vote.
The Election Commission, in consultation with the central government, has decided to appoint the Secretary General of the Rajya Sabha as Returning Officer for the election.
Assistant Returning Officers will be appointed in all state capitals.
- Donald Trump Seeks to Bar Sexual Misconduct Claims from Trump University Trial
- Jack Reacher: Never Go Back Review: Lacks Suspense, High-Adrenaline Thrills
- 'Jack Reacher: Never Go Back' Review: The Film is Dull and Predictable
- Hillary Clinton, Trump Spending Furiously as Election Day Approaches
- Meet the Man Who is Giving Music to Akhilesh's Campaign as Samajwadi Party Gets Lost in Surround Sound
- Akhilesh Will Be CM, Ready to Give it in Writing on Stamp Paper, Says an Emotional Shivpal
- Let's See to What Extent Order is Carried Out by BCCI: Justice Lodha
- Justice Lodha Speaks on SC's Decision to Curb BCCI's Financial Prowess
From Our Network
- AAP in new packaging: Is Swaraj India cloning old party by targeting Varun Gandhi?- FirstPost
- Senior SP leaders to mediate between Akhilesh Yadav and Mulayam Singh to resolve contentious issues - Pradesh18
- Did MLA Satyadev Katare die due to Assembly's 'bad vastu', asks Kailash Vijayvargiya - Pradesh18