DON'T SHARE NUISANCE.
President poll: Pranab welcomes TMC decision
Mamata Banerjee on Tuesday announced that her party would vote for Congress-led United Progressive Alliance nominee Pranab Mukherjee in presidential election.
Kolkata: Within minutes of the Trinamool Congress deciding to support his presidential bid, ruling United Progressive Alliance's (UPA) presidential nominee Pranab Mukherjee welcomed the announcement made by Trinamool chief Mamata Banerjee.
"I welcome her decision. I welcome the decision taken by Trinamool Congress chief Mamata Banerjee," Mukherjee said.
He refused to say anything further.
Mukherjee's comment came after Banerjee, who had been opposing his bid for the top post so long, did a volte face and announced that her party would vote for him in the July 19 poll.
Congress general secretary Shakeel Ahmed, who is in charge of the party's affairs in West Bengal, also welcomed the Trinamool decision by stating that it would not have been good if Trinamool had voted against Mukherjee or abstained from the presidential poll.
"We all welcome Mamata-di's decision. We are very happy. It would not have looked good if Trinamool being an alliance partner of the UPA, would have abstained or had voted against Pranab-da," Ahmed said.
Recommended For You
- Virat Kohli and Co Take Time Off After Practicing Hard in London
- Exclusive: Read Excerpts From Sita: Warrior of Mithila by Amish Tripathi
- 'Missing' Chennai-based Model Gaanam Nair Returns Home
- List of Top Five Bikes to Buy in Less Than Rs 1 Lakh: The One That's Meant For You
- Vinod Kambli Shares Age-old Picture With Sachin Tendulkar