Presidential poll: NCP asks Sangma to opt out
PA Sangma has said that he has been given to understand that NDA would discuss his candidature.
New Delhi: Making it clear that it is firmly behind UPA candidate in the Presidential race, the Nationalist Congress Party has told former Lok Sabha speaker PA Sangma not to press for his candidature in the polls.
The advice was given to Sangma by party General Secretary DP Triparthi under instructions from party chief Sharad Pawar.
After meeting Sangma, Tripathi said, "I went to him (Sangma) and told him that the party will support UPA candidate in the presidential race".
The development came a day after Pawar met Sonia Gandhi and amid indications that the presidential election could become a keen affair with Mamata Banerjee pitching for APJ Abdul Kalam.
Sangma had on Thursday said he remained a candidate for the post of the President and was in touch with all political parties to garner support. "I am in the race, that is important. Since I am in the race, I do not like to comment on other candidates," he said, and added there was nothing wrong in names being suggested for the post of President.
Sangma had also said he had been given to understand that NDA would discuss his candidature. His candidature is reportedly being sponsored by AIADMK and the Biju Janata Dal.
- Rampant Borussia Dortmund Will Put Stuttering Real Madrid to the Test
- MS Dhoni: The Untold Story Will Live Up to the Hype: Neeraj Pandey
- Houston Shooting: At least 9 Injured, Gunman Dead
- Maruti Suzuki's 'MS Dhoni Inspired' Alto and Alto K10 Special Edition Unveiled
- Official Emblem for U-17 Football World Cup Launched
- BCCI Has Been Unfair to Pakistan, Says Mudassar Nazar
- Pakistani Comedian's Take On Why India-Pakistan Should Not Go To War Is A Must Read
- Jeep Compass SUV Unveiled, India Launch in 2017