Presidential poll: NCP asks Sangma to opt out
PA Sangma has said that he has been given to understand that NDA would discuss his candidature.
New Delhi: Making it clear that it is firmly behind UPA candidate in the Presidential race, the Nationalist Congress Party has told former Lok Sabha speaker PA Sangma not to press for his candidature in the polls.
The advice was given to Sangma by party General Secretary DP Triparthi under instructions from party chief Sharad Pawar.
After meeting Sangma, Tripathi said, "I went to him (Sangma) and told him that the party will support UPA candidate in the presidential race".
The development came a day after Pawar met Sonia Gandhi and amid indications that the presidential election could become a keen affair with Mamata Banerjee pitching for APJ Abdul Kalam.
Sangma had on Thursday said he remained a candidate for the post of the President and was in touch with all political parties to garner support. "I am in the race, that is important. Since I am in the race, I do not like to comment on other candidates," he said, and added there was nothing wrong in names being suggested for the post of President.
Sangma had also said he had been given to understand that NDA would discuss his candidature. His candidature is reportedly being sponsored by AIADMK and the Biju Janata Dal.
- Despite Bleak Electoral Map, Donald Trump Says, 'We Are Winning'
- Trump Calls Clinton 'Nasty Woman'; Voters Rally Behind her
- Bigg Boss 10: Priyanka Jagga Is The First Contestant to Get Eliminated This Season
- Kaine, Trump, U.S. Lawmakers Raise Concerns Over AT&T-Time Warner Deal
- Despite Mulayam's Peace Efforts, Rift Widens Between Akhilesh, Shivpal
- Neelabh's Toon: Akhilesh, Shivpal Spar Creates Rift in Samajwadi Party
- Feud Won't Affect Muslim Votes, Says SP's Azam Khan, Analysts Not So Sure
- Samajwadi Party Youth Wing Torches Effigy of Amar Singh