DON'T SHARE NUISANCE.
Presidential poll: NCP asks Sangma to opt out
PA Sangma has said that he has been given to understand that NDA would discuss his candidature.
New Delhi: Making it clear that it is firmly behind UPA candidate in the Presidential race, the Nationalist Congress Party has told former Lok Sabha speaker PA Sangma not to press for his candidature in the polls.
The advice was given to Sangma by party General Secretary DP Triparthi under instructions from party chief Sharad Pawar.
After meeting Sangma, Tripathi said, "I went to him (Sangma) and told him that the party will support UPA candidate in the presidential race".
The development came a day after Pawar met Sonia Gandhi and amid indications that the presidential election could become a keen affair with Mamata Banerjee pitching for APJ Abdul Kalam.
Sangma had on Thursday said he remained a candidate for the post of the President and was in touch with all political parties to garner support. "I am in the race, that is important. Since I am in the race, I do not like to comment on other candidates," he said, and added there was nothing wrong in names being suggested for the post of President.
Sangma had also said he had been given to understand that NDA would discuss his candidature. His candidature is reportedly being sponsored by AIADMK and the Biju Janata Dal.
Recommended For You
- This Old Picture Of Shah Rukh Khan, Farah Khan and Karan Johar Is Pure Gold
- Exclusive: Read Excerpts From Sita: Warrior of Mithila by Amish Tripathi
- Kangana-Ketan Battle: Another Filmmaker Accuses The Latter Of Hijacking His Film
- GST Effect: Ford Figo, Aspire, EcoSport Get Discounts Of Up To Rs 30,000
- Nuzhat Fought Taboos to Play Cricket, Picked for ICC World Cup