1-min read

Protests in Maharashtra after attack on Pawar


First published: November 24, 2011, 5:00 PM IST | Updated: November 24, 2011
facebook Twitter google skype whatsapp
Protests in Maharashtra after attack on Pawar
NCP workers blocked vehicular traffic in Mumbai, Navi Mumbai, Nashik and Solapur.

Mumbai: The attack on Union Agriculture Minister Sharad Pawar in Delhi on Thursday sparked protests in his home state Maharashtra and invited strong condemnation from political parties.

'Rasta roko' (blockades) protests were held in Solapur and Nashik to condemn the attack on Pawar, who was slapped by a youth at a public function claiming he was angry with corruption and price rise.

Senior NCP minister Laxman Dhoble led the protests at Mohol in Solapur district. The protesters shouted slogans, condemning the attack.

NCP workers blocked vehicular traffic at Trimbak Road and Kalwan in Nashik district to condemn the attack on their party chief. In adjoining Navi Mumbai, the agro produce market was closed in protest.

In Baramati, Pawar's native place in Pune district, traders observed spontaneous bandh. Political parties were quick to denounce the assault.

Maharashtra BJP President Sudhir Mungantiwar condmed the attack, describing it as cowardly.

Leader of Opposition in Maharashtra Assembly Eknath Khadse said, "In a democracy, such attacks are condemnable. One can protest using non-violent means but such an attack cannot be justified."

Home Minister and NCP leader RR Patil said Pawar's security needs to be stepped up in the aftermath of the incident.

The 71-year-old Pawar, who went to attend a literary function at a public auditorium on Parliament Street, was slapped by Harvinder Singh, a transporter in his 30s who had also assaulted former telecom minister Sukhram outside Rohini Court on Saturday after he was sentenced in a corruption case.

The NCP workers also held protests at Mulund and Worli areas of Mumbai.

Some party workers were taken into custody in suburban Mulund for trying to disturb law and order, said a police official.

Tight security is being maintained across Mumbai following the incident, said police.

facebook Twitter google skype whatsapp