Punjab govt favours capital punishment in brutal rape cases
Sushil Kumar Shinde said all suggestions, including death penalty for rape, put forward by the Chief Secretaries and DGPs would be considered by the central government.
New Delhi: Punjab government favours death sentence in brutal rape cases, state DGP SS Saini said on Friday. "Government of Punjab is of the view that in brutal rape cases and cases of gangrape death sentence should be given...let the court decide which case deserves the highest punishment," he told reporters in New Delhi on Friday.
The Punjab DGP had come to attend a day-long conference of Chief Secretaries and DGPs.
The officials discussed threadbare various ways to check crime against women and agreed to take steps for protection of women and initiating speedy trial and conviction of criminals.
However, despite day-long deliberations the Central and state governments today failed to evolve a consensus on death penalty for rape convicts even as they seem to have agreed on the definition of juvenile by bringing down the age bar to 16 from 18 years.
"There is no consensus on amending the law to include capital punishment for rape. One or two chief secretaries have suggested but majority kept mum on the issue," a senior officer, who attended the meeting, said.
Home Minister Sushil Kumar Shinde said all suggestions, including death penalty for rape, put forward by the Chief Secretaries and DGPs would be considered by the central government.
- US Presidential Debate: Bollywood Stars Share Their Opinions on Twitter
- 'Daring Voice of India's Pride' at UNGA Wins Applause From AAP
- US Presidential Debate: Clinton and Trump Spar on Economy and Jobs
- Some Reactions Around the World To First Trump-Clinton Debate
- Barack Obama, Leonardo DiCaprio to Discuss Climate Change at White House Event
- Big B Has a Different Level of Passion Towards His Work: Anees Bazmee
- Obama Vetoes Bill Allowing 9/11 Victims to Sue Saudi Arabia
- Barack Obama Shares Video of Child Offering Home To Boy In The Ambulance