Punjab govt favours capital punishment in brutal rape cases
Sushil Kumar Shinde said all suggestions, including death penalty for rape, put forward by the Chief Secretaries and DGPs would be considered by the central government.
New Delhi: Punjab government favours death sentence in brutal rape cases, state DGP SS Saini said on Friday. "Government of Punjab is of the view that in brutal rape cases and cases of gangrape death sentence should be given...let the court decide which case deserves the highest punishment," he told reporters in New Delhi on Friday.
The Punjab DGP had come to attend a day-long conference of Chief Secretaries and DGPs.
The officials discussed threadbare various ways to check crime against women and agreed to take steps for protection of women and initiating speedy trial and conviction of criminals.
However, despite day-long deliberations the Central and state governments today failed to evolve a consensus on death penalty for rape convicts even as they seem to have agreed on the definition of juvenile by bringing down the age bar to 16 from 18 years.
"There is no consensus on amending the law to include capital punishment for rape. One or two chief secretaries have suggested but majority kept mum on the issue," a senior officer, who attended the meeting, said.
Home Minister Sushil Kumar Shinde said all suggestions, including death penalty for rape, put forward by the Chief Secretaries and DGPs would be considered by the central government.
- Amar Singh Got Akhilesh Story Planted in Newspaper: Ashu Malik
- SP's Abu Azmi Lashes Out at Amar Singh, Blames him For Crisis in Party
- How Samajwadi Party Will Look Like if it Splits
- Watch: Akhilesh vs Shivpal Figth Over Amar Singh
- Trump Calls Clinton 'Nasty Woman'; Voters Rally Behind her
- People Celebrated Choti Diwali After Surgical Strikes, says PM Modi
- PM Modi Urges People to Break out of SP-BSP Stranglehold in UP
- PM Modi Bats for Women's Rights, Wants Practice of Triple Talaq to go