Assam: AGP sends Rs 500 crore legal notice to Rahul Gandhi
Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi had alleged that the AGP came to power in Assam with help from insurgents.
New Delhi: The Asom Gana Parishad has sent a legal notice to Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi for a whopping Rs 500 crore. The party says it will sue Rahul for defamation after he alleged that the AGP came to power in Assam with help from insurgents.
Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi had also endorsed Rahul's statement saying that AGP had links with insurgent groups. The party has given Rahul Gandhi 15 days to apologise for his purported remarks.
The AGP youth wing President Kishore Upadhaya told PTI "If the Congress Vice President fails to apologise, we will seek a compensation of Rs 500 crore for damaging the reputation of the party whose members were involved in the six year Assam agitation against foreigners," he said. "We have given Gandhi 15 days to respond to our notice failing which we will initiate a criminal defamation case against him," he said.
AGP President Prafulla Kumar Mahanta had also earlier stated that the party strongly condemned Gandhi's comments and was consulting experts for taking legal action against him.
According to a WikiLeaks report published in the media last month, Rahul had reportedly told a US diplomat in 2006 that India during his father late Rajiv Gandhi's prime ministership (1984-1989) had given a separatist group a chance to form the government in Assam and the US should follow the same model with Hamas.
(With additional information from PTI)
- Quetta Terror Attack: 3 Terrorists Killed, Over 60 Dead
- Quetta Attack: Why Pak's 'Action Plan' on Terror Became 'Inaction Plan'
- US Condemns Terror Attack in Pakistan's Quetta
- Madhur Bhandarkar Happy Over End of Protests Against ADHM
- Clinton Policy on Syria Would Lead to World War Three: Donald Trump
- Trump Calls Attack on ISIS in Mosul a 'Disaster', Hillary Lashes Out
- Trump Takes Swipe at Adult Star Who Accused Him of Inappropriate Sexual Contact
- Jio MAMI 2016: Mira is an Opinionated Girl, Keeps Me Grounded: Shahid Kapoor