Assembly polls: Rahul to meet Karnataka Congress leaders
Karnataka will vote for a new Assembly in single phase on May 5 and the counting for the 224-member House will take place on May 8.
New Delhi: Top Karnataka Congress leaders will meet Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi in Delhi on Thursday afternoon. They will finalise the list of contenders for the upcoming state elections.
Karnataka will vote for a new Assembly in single phase on May 5 and the counting for the 224-member House will take place on May 8. The issue of notification will be on April 10, the last day of nomination is April 17, scrutiny of nomination will take place on April 18 and the last day for withdrawing nomination is April 20.
In the recent urban local body polls in Karnataka, the party finished way ahead of the ruling BJP government. Buoyed by its good show in Karnataka urban body elections, the Congress will be hoping to come back to power in the state. The party dealt a massive blow to the BJP by relegating the ruling party to a distant second place. The Congress won three out of seven major city corporations including Bellary, Mangalore and Davanagere; and emerged the single largest party in Mysore and Gulbarga.
The Congress also routed BS Yeddyurappa's Karnataka Janata Party (KJP) and ended the rule of Reddy brothers in Bellary by decimating their BSR Congress across central Karnataka. The BJP was not able to gain majority in any of the seven major city corporations and emerged as the single largest party in only Hubli-Dharwad. JDS come second in Mysore and Belgaum went to Maharashtra Ekikaran Samithi (MES). This will be the first big state to vote since Rahul Gandhi's elevation in the Congress as party Vice President.
Karnataka Assembly has a strength of 224 members and the halfway mark is 113. Out of the 224 seats, the general category seats are 173, Scheduled Castes seats are 36 and Scheduled Tribe seats 15 while there is one nominated member from the Anglo-Indian community. Term of Karnataka Assembly ends on June 3.
- Xiaomi Mi5s, Mi 5s Plus Smartphones Powered by Qualcomm Snapdragon 821 SoCs Launched in China
- Lenovo Sacks "Hundreds" of Employees at Motorola: Report
- Top 5: 4G Smartphones Under Rs 10,000; Is Xiaomi Still The King?
- Lenovo Z2 Plus With Snapdragon 820 Processor Launched At Rs 17,999
- After Google and Salesforce, Disney Now Wants to Buy Twitter
- Google Station, YouTube Go, Google Play for 2G Launched
- Google to Provide Public Wi-Fi Hotspots in Malls, Universities in India
- Happy Birthday! Google is Now an Adult