Rahul Gandhi to begin 2-day visit to Kashmir today
Rahul Gandhi will also be laying the foundation stone of a 6.5 km tunnel near Sonmarg on Thursday.
Srinagar: Congress General Secretary Rahul Gandhi is set to begin his two-day visit of Kashmir on Thursday. This comes in the light of the murder of sarpanchs and protests by other village chiefs. However, there is no meeting scheduled with Chief Minister Omar Abdullah planned as yet.
Rahul will also be laying the foundation stone of a 6.5 km tunnel near Sonmarg on Thursday. The Z-Morh Tunnel is aimed at providing all-weather connectivity with Ladakh. The AICC general secretary is also due to have a meeting with Panchayat members in the Valley on Friday against the backdrop of his call for increasing security of Panchs and Sarpanchs following threats from militants. A sarpanch delegation from the Valley had met Rahul in Delhi last week.
For the first time, a business dimension has been lent to Rahul's visit during which he is expected to allay corporate concerns about investing in the border state. Besides the Chairman of the Tata group and the Aditya Birla group, HDFC chairman Deepak Parikh, Managing Director of Bajaj Auto Rajeev Bajaj and Chairman and Managing Director of WIPRO Aziz Premji will be present during Rahul's visit.
With Additional Inputs from PTI
Recommended For You
- Virender Sehwag Predicts 3-0 or 3-1 Series Win for India Over Australia
- News18 Movie Awards 2017: Dangal Ahead of Others in Best Film Category
- Nokia 8 in Black, Grey Colours Listed Ahead of Launch
- Range Rover Velar to be Unveiled on March 1, Will Sit between the Evoque and Sport Models
- Akshay Kumar's Jolly LLB 2 Crosses Rs 100 Crore-mark in India