DON'T SHARE NUISANCE.
Raj Babbar wins from Firozabad, blow to Mulayam
Actor-politician defeats SP chief's daughter-in-law.
Lucknow: Congress candidate and actor Raj Babbar was on Tuesday elected to the Lok Sabha from Firozabad in Uttar Pradesh, defeating Samajwadi Party chief Mulayam Singh Yadav's daughter-in-law Dimple by over 85,000 votes.
Celebrations erupted on the streets of Firozabad, which adjoins the Taj Mahal district of Agra, as officials announced that Raj Babbar had beaten Dimple Yadav by 85,343 votes.
The outcome was a huge blow to Mualayam Singh Yadav, who wanted his daughter-in-law to overcome the challenge of Raj Babbar, a former Samajwadi Party MP who later quit the party to join the Congress.
Raj Babbar's victory takes the Congress strength in the 545-seat Lok Sabha to 207.
The November 3 by-election was called after Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Akhilesh Yadav gave up the Firozabad seat after being elected to the Lok Sabha from two seats this year.
An engineer by training who later acted in over 150 films, Raj Babbar was elected to the Lok Sabha both in 1999 and in 2004 from Agra.
Recommended For You
- War Machine Review: Brad Pitt Is Disappointing In This Satire Gone Wrong
- Exclusive: Read Excerpts From Sita: Warrior of Mithila by Amish Tripathi
- Opinion – Which 2017 Maruti Suzuki Dzire Variant Should You Buy?
- Vinod Kambli Shares Age-old Picture With Sachin Tendulkar
- Nana Patekar Bags Key Role In Kaala Karikaalan