Rajiv Shukla apologises for Mani Shankar's animal remark
Mani Shankar Aiyar sparked controversy by comparing Opposition MPs with animals.
New Delhi: Congress MP Rajiv Shukla apologised in the Rajya Sabha on behalf of party leader Mani Shankar Aiyar for his animal remark. Mani Shankar Aiyar sparked controversy by comparing Opposition MPs with animals. During a discussion on Parliament deadlock over FDI on IBN7, Aiyar said, "There is a decent and respectable way to express one's point of view. This behaviour of the MPs reminds me of animals screaming in a well."
This came even as Parliament deadlock over FDI ended on Thursday after the government agreed for a vote on the issue both in the Lok Sabha and the Rajya Sabha. The government has agreed to a vote on FDI in retail in the Rajya Sabha also. The debate will take place under rule 168 that entails voting in Rajya Sabha.
Meanwhile, the Lok Sabha has set December 4 and 5 as the date to vote and debate FDI in retail. The issue for vote in the Lok Sabha was resolved at a meeting between Parliamentary Affairs Minister Kamal Nath, Leader of the House Sushil Kumar Shinde and Leader of the Opposition Sushma Swaraj with Speaker Meira Kumar earlier on Thursday morning.
While the UPA has claimed it is sure of the numbers in both houses, sources said that the Congress will make some attempts to ensure all goes well - especially in the Rajya Sabha.
- Abhishek Kapoor Will Always Remain a Friend: Farhan Akhtar
- Fun to Explore the Singer in Me, Says Shraddha Kapoor
- Abhishek Kapoor Was, Is And Will Always Remain a Friend: Farhan Akhtar
- My Character in Rock On 2 Goes Through an Internal Conflict: Farhan Akhtar
- 2nd Test: Yasir Shah Spins Pakistan to Series-clinching Win Vs West Indies
- Quetta Attack: Why Pak's 'Action Plan' on Terror Became 'Inaction Plan'
- As It Happened: Pakistan vs West Indies, 2nd Test, Day 5
- Quetta Terror Attack: Lashkar-e-Jhangvi Suspected To Be Behind The Deadly Assault