Modi is the most popular leader of BJP: Rajnath Singh
The BJP president's statement came hours after party leader Yashwant Sinha made a strong pitch for making Modi the PM candidate.
New Delhi: After party leader Yashwant Sinha made a strong pitch for Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi saying that he should be made the BJP's PM candidate, party president Rajnath Singh said that a decision on it will be taken by the party parliamentary board. He, however, did add that Modi, at the time, was the most popular leader of the party.
"There are no second thoughts about Narendra Modi being the most popular leader of the party but decision on the PM candidate will be taken by the Parliamentary board," he said.
This comes just a day after Modi met Rajnath in Delhi and two said that they had discussed the 2014 General Elections "in detail". Yashwant Sinha, speaking to reporters, had said, "There is a huge demand from our workers that Modi should be projected as the PM candidate and I also feel that if Modi is projected as the PM candidate, then the NDA will be in advantage."
When asked about a possible opposition from the JD(U), Sinha had said, "They are our oldest ally. The JD(U) should not target only one person. Either we as a party are secular or communal. They should not pick and chose one person. Every party has full right to take their own decision. My personal view is that if the BJP projects Modi as the PM candidate, then they should just accept it without making an issue out of it."
- US has Now Very Little Influence on Pakistanâs Nuclear Policy: Hoodbhoy
- Adnan Sami Responds To Haters After He Was Trolled For Supporting Surgical Strikes
- Pakistan vs West Indies Live Score: 1st ODI, Sharjah
- Hillary Fears Emergence of Nuclear Suicide Bombers from Pakistan
- Border Villages in Punjab Back Army Action, Hail PM Modi
- MS Dhoni: The Untold Story Review: Sushant Gives a Knockout Performance
- PM Narendra Modi to Review Border Situation in CCS Meet
- MS Dhoni: The Untold Story Movie Review: Must Watch for its Brilliant Execution