Varun will campaign for party, says Rajanath Singh
Varun Gandhi received a warm welcome in the Capital.
New Delhi: Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) president Rajnath Singh on Thursday night welcomed the release on parole of the party's Pilibhit candidate Varun Gandhi and said the young leader would certainly campaign for the party.
Varun, who was released from Etah Jail in Uttar Pradesh in the evening, reached the national capital after 2200 hrs IST. A large crowd of party supporters were present to welcome him.
He had taken a chartered flight from Agra to the Capital and did not speak to the media.
Rajnath, asked by reporters, said he was very happy at the Supreme Court giving Varun Gandhi a two-week parole.
"I am very happy he has been released. And he will certainly campaign for the party," he told reporters.
Varun was arrested on March 28 for his campaign speeches allegedly vilifying Muslims. The UP government slapped provisions of the stringent National Security Act on him, which Varun Gandhi has challenged.
Recommended For You
- New KTM Duke 390, Duke 250, Duke 200 Launched; Prices Start at Rs 1.43 Lakh
- Baahubali 2 Motion Poster Indicates Just How Epic the Film Is Going to Be
- BKD: Varun- Alia Bring Back Desi Vibes in Aashiq Surrender Hua
- Oscars 2017: Of Androgynous Fashion Moments at Red Carpets
- MINI Cooper D (5-Door) Review: A Classic That Encapsulates Modern Technology