Rao first asked to prepare for nuke tests: Kalam
In 1995, PV Narasimha Rao had decided to carry out the tests, but the then US president Bill Clinton stopped him.
Nagpur: Former president Dr APJ Abdul Kalam on Tuesday revealed that former prime minister PV Narasimha Rao had asked him to make preparations for nuclear tests, which were subsequently conducted (at Pokhran) during the NDA government, headed by Atal Bihari Vajpayee.
Kalam was addressing the probationers at the National Academy of Direct Taxes (NADT) here.
The former President said that in May 1996, he had received a call from Narasimha Rao asking to meet him at the earliest.
"When I met Rao, he asked me to proceed with the preparation for testing of the nuclear bomb. Subsequently, his (Congress) government lost power and when Vajpayee took over, Rao revealed the plans to him (Vajpayee). He also asked me to share the details with Vajpayee," Kalam said adding, "Later in May 1998, India conducted nuclear tests."
Kalam added that both the leaders had great courage to go ahead with the plan.
In 1995, Rao had decided to carry out the nuclear tests, the plans that were reportedly halted after American satellites picked up signs of preparations for testing at Pokhran. It was said that the then American president Bill Clinton exerted pressure on Rao to stop the preparations.
Finally, on 11 and 13 May 1998, during Vajpayee's tenure as the Prime Minister, India conducted the tests.
- Lisa Haydon Just Announced Her Marriage to Boyfriend Dino Lalvani
- Sam Allardyce Fights to Save England Job After Newspaper Sting
- Apple iPhone 7 Users: Please DO NOT Drill a 3.5mm Hole on it to Make Your Own Earphone Jack
- Watch: MNS Asks Pakistani Artistes To Leave In 48 Hours or Face Consequences
- India to Reclaim Top Spot If They Win Kolkata Test Against New Zealand
- 'Daring Voice of India's Pride' at UNGA Wins Applause From AAP
- Cheteshwar Pujara's Kanpur Transformation Augurs Well for Team India
- UNGA: Sushma Says Kashmir Integral Part of India; Asks Pakistan To Stop Dreaming